• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic Paris Bistro?

pjackso

My wife and I are heading to Paris for our 10th anniversary and I want to find and authentic Parisian bistro.

Any suggestions?

"You like Thai?"

"Yea, you like shirt?" -Trent Steele & Max Power (From The Simpsons Episode No. 216)

Also known as le bistrot! Can you narrow it down some? What arrondissement? Or what part of the city? Are you looking for traditional or neo (these are more haute)? Price range?

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

We're going to be staying in the 4th arrondissement around the Pompidou. I definitely want a traditional bistro...zinc covered bar, tile floor, big clocks the whole nine.

We have reservations at Chez Robert et Louise already...

Thanks!

"You like Thai?"

"Yea, you like shirt?" -Trent Steele & Max Power (From The Simpsons Episode No. 216)

Le Trumilou is nearby and has excellent, if traditional bistro fare, but not the other things you desire. It's at 84, quai de l’Hôtel-de-Ville, 4th. Pictures here.

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

My wife and I had a very enjoyable meal at Café des Musées (49, rue de Turenne). I had the lunch menu, which featured a blood sausage terrine with green chartreuse and bavette de veau with quinoa. I believe they are also known for the superior quality of their frites. Everything was delicious and quite reasonably priced. It's only a couple blocks from Chez Robert et Louise (where the blood sausage is also very good).

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I suggest "Benoit" (http://www.benoit-paris.com/index2.html) which in the area you are staying in. It is a very old bistro that was taken over Alain Ducasse and "saved" to continue in business (it has all the classic features - although I think big clocks are more likely found in Brasseries) .

Ducasse gets his fair share of flack on the boards because he drives high standards and very high level of consistency and many don't like this because they feel it stifles individuality and creativity. I actually like it for these reasons, I know I will have a good traditional meal. OK there are cheaper, but I have never left there disappointed.

I hope you don't think Chez Robert et Louise is a traditional bistro - it is quite a quirky restaurant whose fame is meat BBQ'd on an open fire.

Ma Bourgogone, beware, only takes cash, and has a lot of attitude for non-French speakers... :sad:

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog