• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

I'd have roasted the squash first to concentrate flavors and bring out the nutty sweetness. I'm not afraid of butter but that uis alot - it can bland out flavors. 

maybe I added too much water too? I didn't want a thick puree but a soup so I added that much water 

and no access to food process or blender so I needed a watery texture and added the water and hoped to boil the heck out of the veg until it broke up on its own 

the texture actually came out okay after 1.5 hours of boil (don't know if it lost flavor from the prolonged heat) 

but - yes - maybe I should have browned the veg all over to get a sweet flavor from the carmelization or even browned the butter and added the thyme to "bloom" the flavor of the spice 

I was hoping to not add heavy cream and butter to make the soup taste good (very heavy) 

eugenep

eugenep

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

I'd have roasted the squash first to concentrate flavors and bring out the nutty sweetness. I'm not afraid of butter but that uis alot - it can bland out flavors. 

maybe I added too much water too? I didn't want a thick puree but a soup so I added that much water 

and no access to food process or blender so I needed a watery texture and added the water and hoped to boil the heck out of the veg until it broke up on its own 

but - yes - maybe I should have browned the veg all over to get a sweet flavor from the carmelization or even browned the butter and added the thyme to "bloom" the flavor of the spice 

I was hoping to not add heavy cream and butter to make the soup taste good (very heavy)