• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluten-Free Bread

stscam

I recently ordered The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook (America's Test Kitchen). It hasn't arrived yet. I don't have any gluten issues, but I've been curious about gluten free baking, particularly gluten free breads. It seems that I'll have to start amassing an entirely new set of pantry staples. I'm looking forward to trying this out. 

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to trying out the ATK gluten free book. I made the Mutligrain Sandwich Bread, which is not bad at all. I mixed 1 1/2 recipes and baked it in my Pullman loaf pan (13x4x4", baked without the lid), figuring with its four-inch sides it would offer better support and I wouldn't need the collar they suggest for a regular loaf pan. It rose up to the edge of the pan when proofing, but deflated about an inch during baking. Timing is very different. It is mixed, then put into the loaf pan (it's extremely sticky), let rise for about an hour, then they suggest baking for about 1 1/2 hours at 325F. I was sure I would end up with a brick. They don't give a suggested internal temp for doneness, which is surprising from ATK, but this loaf was about 210 at 1 3/4 hours and I called it done. (It wasn't done at 1 1/2 hours.) It's very flavorful, and although I haven't made sandwiches yet I think it will work well. Texture is dense but not much more so than a regular multigrain loaf. It is very heavy - this loaf weighed in at 3 lbs!

I probably should have started with their Classic Sandwich Bread and made it in an 8 1/2x4 1/2 pan as they suggest. That will be next, so I can get some idea of what the rise should really be like. I understand why gluten-free bread is so expensive, the ingredients really do cost a small fortune. 

20170610_182250.jpg

20170610_182043.jpg

• 2 months later...

Cool. I'll give that one a try next time I'm heading to Nova Scotia, and see what my daughter thinks of it. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning