• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nectarines

Chris Hennes

I like them roasted in caramel. Then I use them for individual upside down cakes, or eat as it. :wub: Great with either a sage or creme fraiche ice cream.

I'm not a fan of apricots, and while I love peaches, I seem to like nectarines better. Except when you can get them off the pit :angry:

We would come to blows over a good nectarine when I grew up. Clafouti seems to work with peaches and plums, so it would be yummy with nectarines too. I would assume nectarines could sub for peaches most of the time. I can't see the downside of a nectarine pie; I like a nectarine cobbler with a biscuit crust. Mmm.

I'm thinking what RWood was thinking, upside down cake or tart.

I made Tarte Renversée Caramélisée aux Abricots last year with nectarines instead of apricots and it was yum. It was like a Tarte Tatin, but sweeter.

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

On second thought, it's hard to make anything with nectarines that will surpass the fruit on its own.

Just eat 'em until you can't stand it anymore. :laugh:

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

After you've taken Fooey's advice, make this recipe, from Epicurious:

Nectarine Lime Curd Tart with a Brown-Sugar Crust

Dead easy, and one of the best desserts I've ever made.

Also, make nectarine sorbet, or even better, nectarine ice cream. A once-a-year treat that's so worth the effort (and the calories)!

- L.

Whenever someone says nectarines to me, I think of David Lebovitz's recipe for Baked Nectarines with Toasted Almonds and Fresh Ginger. Serve the nectarines topped with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

The master recipe for the Baked Nectarines is here. I usually substitute almonds for the pistachios.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10176

The Vanilla Bean Ice Cream recipe is here:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/recipes/vanilla_icecream.html

I also like this Nectarine Mustard from Georgeanne Brennan. The recipe here looks a little goofy to me. Omit the lemon juice, and substitute 2 TB orange juice. Reduce the sugar to 2 tsp. (don't ask me where that 1 1/2 cups comes from.) That's the recipe for the mustard I cooked with fresh nectarines and champagne vinegar. It's great with homemade pork sausages, or any kind of pork, really.

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dishes/condiments//00/rec0076.html

I was going to suggest pretty much what djyee100 said - i love them halved, with a dob of butter and a little sprinkle of brown sugar, then under the griller or in the oven for a few minutes, just till it starts caramelizing and the fruit softens slightly, without become too cooked.

Great served simply with some whipped cream (i love a good hit of vanilla in the cream for this) and some toasted almonds, or crumbled spice cookies (i buy Spekulaas which is a Dutch cookie).

Some types are a lot easier to handle for this (i think there are clingstone and slipstone nectarines, like peaches, maybe?). I tried with ones that didn't want to come away from the stone, and you can still do it, but it's more work and they can look a bit hacked up.

But also as fooey said, they're so great fresh when they're good fruit.