• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisine et Vins de France...real french food

thecuriousone

Hello all-

I was reading this weeks NYTimes food section for Wednesday and there was an article about the recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The article seemed to infer that those recipes did not reflect how the french eat today. It leads me to the question of where to find receipes for contemporary french food that the french make and eat every day. Does the magazine cuisine et Vin de France reflect this??? I always snatch up any copies I can when on vacation. But do the french see it as relecting modern french cooking? If not, what magazine do the french think best reflects their food as it is today?

Thanks

Cuisine et Vins is my favorite of the French cooking magazines, although I think it's likely that the Vie Pratique Gourmand, which is available every two weeks in supermarkets by the checkout, is more representative of daily family cooking.

Certainly its a very good publication.

The problem in France is that the French are magazine crazy. Go into any French tabac which is where magazines are mainly sold in France and you will be presented with a large array of food oriented magazines. At least 20 different tittles all on a monthly or semi-weekly basis.

These are in addition to the columns and recipes that appear in all of the newspapers.

So, to answer your question I think the French see it as one of a number of good magazines on the subject of food & wine.

I decided to take this a step further and did a search on French Cooking Magazines.

Here's a link to a site that lists over 30.fRENCH mAGAZINES

Your favorite is listed and it has a website. So do many of the others.

Happy reading.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A timely post...I have been going thru a big stack of French mags from the late 90's,,, Cusine Gourmande, Cusine actuelle, Cusiner, and Guide Cusine...I got them back then, and cooked from them, and then forgot about em.

I had not looked at them until a few months ago, really great stuff, gonna probably get a sub to Cusine Gourmande...In the meantime I have been doing a lot of stuff from them,

These are really inovative in comparasion to the US mags,,...takes a while to get the language back however,,,

Bud

• 2 months later...

I have been looking for old copies of food mags. With gourmet gone, it just seems the right thing to do.

What is funny to me is that I usually shop where I have access to food magazines from spain, poland and mexico. While they are interesting to look through, they are all cooking the same thing!!! How can such different parts of the world all be cooking light salads and 30 mimute entrees?