• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gözleme! (and other Turkish food)

Kentan

Okay for some reason I've seen two references in two days to gözleme - a savoury Turkish pastry filled with good stuff like meat, spinach, mushrooms, or potatoes. I take this as a sign that I need to try it! It sounds something like Paratha, the stuffed Indian flatbread, which I love.

Can anyone recommend a good place for gözleme in Metro Vancouver? And more generally, some good Turkish places in town?

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

I recommend Anatolia's Gate on Kingsway in Burnaby. I don't recall if they had Gözleme specifically, but mst of the food I have head there has been stellar...especially anything to do with flatbread. (They have a brickoven).

The owners used to run a Turkish restaurant in NYC (I think they are still part owners - a relative is running it now).

DSCF4914.JPG

DSCF4915.JPG

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend Anatolia's Gate on Kingsway in Burnaby. I don't recall if they had Gözleme specifically, but mst of the food I have head there has been stellar...especially anything to do with flatbread. (They have a brickoven).

Thanks fmed! I'll definitely check them out and let you know if they have gözleme.

Wow that lavash looks amazing fmed! Okay I need to get out there soon...

Just got a recommendation from Chow Times (seriously, where haven't they been?) to try Istanbul Topkapi at 6838 No. 3 Road in Richmond. The post is here and looking at the photos, I'm already sold! I haven't had Lahmacum (Turkish-style pizza) since I was in Berlin, which has some amazing Turkish food. And they have manti (Turkish perogies) as well! But no word yet if there's gözleme to be had...