• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfectly clear cocktail ideas

Shalmanese

while avoiding a classic martini, you could still hew fairly close to the Wondrich approach, i.e., the lion's share given to a white spirit of your choice, cut with a light aperitif wine (noilly dry and lillet will both give a nice golden cast akin to yellow diamonds), and a splash of liquer to jazz it up. citrus bitters of some sort as aromatics tend to add too much color.

Maybe a clear riff on a red hook?

Death's Door White Whiskey, Cinzano Bianco Vermouth, Luxardo Maraschino

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Diamonds sounds like something on the rocks, so a clear spirit or spirits on the rocks? Cointreau on the rocks? Orange curacao and tonic water (bitter and bitter works) on the rocks?

Then again, when the rocks melt, so go the diamonds and so much for forever.

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

There's always the gin & tonic, just twist lemon or lime zest over the glass before filling it.

I have seen ice cube trays that make big diamond shapes. I think it was at Sur La Table, but I am not 100% certain, they are not available in their online store.

Two clear alcohols not mentioned here are aquavit and corn whiskey (there are legal versions for sale), but, I'd go and look at the variety of clear liqueurs and eau de vies available to you. Maybe some good Poire Williams?

If you're trying to make a crowd-pleasing drink but have to avoid citrus I think that Bianco or Blanc Vermouth is a great way to round off the harsher flavors of spirits while keeping sweetness in check. I've had lots of fun drinking Dolin Blanc mixed with Tequila Por Mi Amante, I wonder if a regular blanco would work the same way? Anvil in Houston has a fabulous drink called the Peruvian Riddle, made from Chamomile-infused Pisco with Bianco and orange bitters in classic (ie, wet) Martini preportions. I would imagine this drink would work well with an uninfused Pisco as well.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

This might be too subtle - but if you want to embrace a vodka drink, a number claim to be filtered through diamonds. You could use one of those brands for your drink.

Would you consider something as simple as a vodka tonic? The bubbles would provide an effervescence reminiscent of a diamond's sparkle. And rocks/ice - another diamond reference.