• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Smoked Some Coconut Powder: Now What?

Chris Amirault

I was doing some smoking last weekend and had the usual in the Bradley: bacon, peppercorns, sel gris. While I was prepping the little aluminum foil trays I use for those small items, I got a tweet or something from Alex and Aki at Ideas in Food that had the phrase "smoked coconut" in it. I've gone back and searched for that phrase on their site, to no avail, so perhaps it was all a hallucination.

So I grabbed a can of Chaokoh coconut milk powder that had been in my pantry for a while, tossed it on a little foil tray, and gave it an hour with some lovely apple smoke. It smells delicious, but I'm a bit stumped about applications. Thoughts?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I Smoked Some Coconut Powder: Now What?

You'll soon have an overwhelming need for a burrito and some Fritos. :raz:

Smoked coconut milk powder sounds really cool. I'm not sure exactly what I'd do with it but I'll have the thinking cap on now. I do a dish that uses shrimp or scallop (depending what looks good at the time) with plantain garnished with coconut milk powder and a few other flavors. A smokey note might be really good with it. Thanks for the idea!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

as anything else, it'll probably go well with bacon?

Of course, there are lots of asian dishes that use coconut milk, I could imagine that quite some of them would benefit from a bit of added smoke.

edit to add:

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but was just thinking that you could also use it on some chocolate desert, maybe something that also has a bit of a cayenne kick? Sweet, bit of a bite, coconut flavor with a touch of "is that bacon?" in it?

Edited by OliverB (log)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

French toast, or pancakes? On ice cream? Dusted into bacon bark? In a pinapple type sauce for a roast pork dish? Dammit, now I'm hungry and I don't even LIKE coconut... :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I made a bacon/dark chocolate truffle for work today, and I think that would be fantastic with it. Also, along the sweet lines, a lime panna cotta or creme brulee. Maybe especially the creme bruelee - I think the smokiness would be fantastic with the burnt sugar taste.

Savory - I'm thinking something with pork. With further thought, I don't know if I'd pair it with bacon. You kinda want the smoky flavor of the coconut powder to come out, not the bacon's.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Alex and Aki paired theirs with tuna, tomato, and melon (although it was just caramelized, not smoked - here). When I hear smoke and coconut, I think my brain shouts shrimp ever so softly (along with 'beach' and 'beer').

eta: I see they do have a bunch of smoked coconut ideas on their twitter, just haven't posted them to the blog yet. Fingers crossed...

Edited by vice (log)

That sounds fabulous.

I'd try a bit in my morning hot chocolate--the curry version--and consider how to use it with caramels; a dal curry; how about topping a simple pizza with onions, garlic, and some smoked coconut powder in place of pecorino or parmesan, perhaps with a bit of grated squash and some hot peppers?

I do have coconut powder, but no smoker, sigh.

Yeah, a tropical flavors eggnog might be tasty with it. Or maybe one of those pina colada shakes (the pina colada blitzed with ice cream thing). You could mix it with a little sugar, salt and maybe even some freeze dried pineapple or passion fruit powder for a rim garnish. Of course these may be terrible ideas. I'm not really a cocktail person and, when I do drink them, it's almost never the sweet ones.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.