• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MxMo XLII: Dizzy Dairy

Chris Amirault

Mexi-mocha

1 c milk

2 tablespoons Dagoba Xocolatl hot chocolate mix with chilies and cinnamon

1 1/2 oz tequila

1 oz coffee liquor

put in frothing pitcher and steam with an espresso machine

pour in mug and add 3 dashes Fee's orange bitters.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

From Kevin, the cocktail enthusiast -- CA

I've long enjoyed adding egg whites to cocktails as a means of justifying my drinking. After all, who can't benefit from some extra protein?

The Apple Blow Fizz is a cocktail that combines an egg white, fresh lemon juice and apple brandy. It’s a veritable cornucopia of health foods, all rolled into one.

Apple Blow Fizz

1 1/2 ounces apple brandy

1 ounce fresh lemon juice

1 egg white

1 teaspoon sugar

Club soda

Shake all ingredients except club soda with ice, and strain into a highball glass over ice. Top with club soda.

For the full post and a photo, head to cocktailenthusiast.com.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Chris,

This was a great topic. Thanks for hosting. Here's the link to our post on our Blog:

http://cocktailbuzz.blogspot.com/2009/09/mixology-monday-xlii-dairy-drink-that.html

Maltese Cocktail, photo by Steve Schul, Cocktail Buzz.jpg

(photo by Steve Schul, Cocktail Buzz)

The Maltese

(created by Paul Zablocki and Steve Schul)

2 oz. Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine

3 oz. chilled strong coffee (try one with chicory)

1 oz. heavy cream

1 T. molasses

1 egg white

orange & spice-flavored chocolate shavings, as garnish (we use Green & Black’s Organic Maya Gold, but you can improvise)

In a shaker, add all the ingredients except garnish and shake vigorously for about a minute until the mixture gets slightly frothy. Then fill with ice and shake again vigorously for another minute. Strain into glasses. Grate chocolate over each to taste.

Serves 2.

The Urbane (Not Cosmopolitan) Chris Weigert sends us this -- CA

Despite my previous experiment with milk-based cocktails not going quite as well as I'd hoped (mopping up gin and milk is something of a nuisance) I gamely plunged into this month's challenge with a big, strong, and rich concoction from the annals of mixology lore: one of the many variants of Tiger's Milk, as recorded in Charles H. Baker Jr.'s seminal 1946 drink guide, "The Gentleman's Companion: Being an Exotic Drinking Book, or Around the World with Jigger, Beaker and Flask." It's a good drink, but I think it'll be even better if...well, read on to find out.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Jake over at Liquor is Quicker shares this entry; link here -- CA

Since I'm allergic to cow's milk, my dairy repertoire is somewhat limited. My drink is a variation on a classic Thunder Cocktail, from the Savoy Cocktail book, which uses sweetened egg yolk, liquor, and cayenne pepper to make a quick, dirty, and spicy Eggnog rip-off. Delicious! I mix it up by switching in Jamaican rum and some spice-based liqueurs to complicate things, and add in a couple of snobbish comments about Domaine de Canton just to keep in character.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

From Ross O'Connell representing for The Cocktail Kumite -- CA

I had planned to make a drink with coconut milk, since I thought that would be fully in keeping with the theme, then realized that coconut water and coconut milk are different. And that making coconut milk would be more work than getting the water out of the coconut. But surely there's a dairy case somewhere with coconut water in it, right?

Anyway, I don't know if this adheres well enough to the theme, but here's the:

Nuinuino (click for picture!)

3/4 oz Dark Rum

1/2 oz Coconut Water

1/4 oz Creme de Violette

1/4 oz Lime Juice

More discussion on a blog I write with some friends,

The Cocktail Kumite

Thanks,

Ross

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Chris ~

Thanks for hosting this month. I admit I was crestfallen when I heard of the topic—dairy cocktails are the entire focus of the book I've been working on this year and I was hoping to keep the topic under wraps. But I'm happy to join in with a recipe and a call for help. My full post about Mixology Monday and the book is here.

For my contribution, I went with sweetened condensed milk in a Brazilian batida, inspired by a recent trip to Rum Bar in Philadelphia. More info's at the original post, but here's the recipe:

Orange Batida

1 oz Bacardi O

1 oz Moleca cachaça

1 barspoon of refined sugar (about a teaspoon)

1 oz sweetened condensed milk

½ oz orange juice

Shake hard with ice to fully mix the condensed milk and strain into an old fashioned glass with fresh ice. Garnish with an orange slice. You could also substitute simple syrup to taste for the sugar.

~ rowley

Picture 8.png

Matthew B. Rowley

Rowley's Whiskey Forge, a blog of drinks, food, and the making thereof

Author of Moonshine! (ISBN: 1579906486)

Hi, this was a nice topic and thanks for hosting! My blog post is here:

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=7435

Cheers!

Tiare

SMOKY PINEAPPLE DELIGHT

Smoky Pineapple Delight.jpg

1 pineapple, hollowed

5-6 chunks of fresh pineapple

2 oz tequila reposado

0.5 oz Crema de mezcal (Del Maguey)

1 oz honey-cream-mix

¼ oz orgeat

Ting to top

Hollow out a whole pineapple to make a drink vessel, the easiest way is to use a pineapple corer. Preferably use a pineapple thats is newly matured, they are less sweet. To easily take out the core in the middle, cut a bit with a small knife and/or twist it. Then take 1-2 slices and cut out chunks. If you dont have a fresh pineapple, don`t use canned juice…rather use a cartoned juice.

Add all ingredients to a blender saving ice for last and blend at high speeed for exactly 20 sek. Then strain through a fine wire mesh sieve into the pineapple filled with crushed ice. top with Ting and serve immediately.

Garnish a pineapple leaf and mezcal soaked cherry.

HONEY CREAM MIX

Take equal parts liquid honey, sugar and butter and heat it and stir to make a sauce.

www.amountainofcrushedice.com

Tiki drinks are deceptive..if you think you can gulp them down like milk you´re wrong.

I've been fooling around with the Trader Vic's Rum Fizz and decided it needed tweaking, and thus give you the Improved Rum Fizz:

Improved Rum Fizz

1.5 oz White Rum

.5 oz Curacao

1 oz Lemon Juice

2 tsp Orgeat

.5 oz Egg White

.75 oz Cream Soda

Combine all ingredients other than the cream soda in a shaker and dry shake for about a minute. Add ice to the tin and shake for as close to a minute as you can. Strain into a tall, thin glass and top with cream soda. Garnish with fresh orange zest.

http://rumdood.com/2009/09/28/mixology-monday-dizzy-dairy/

improved_vics_fizz.jpg

Here's my entry for Leche Preparada Piña:

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2009/09/pineapple-milk.html

Cheers,

Frederic

Sounds very tasty. I don't know about pineapple size changes but at least some of the pineapple sold these days is much less acidic than older varieties (e.g. Delmonte Gold). I wonder how that might change the drink?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Please get over to my website www.opinionated-alchemist.com

I've jumped over my own shadow and posted a dairy recipe: the Batida de Maracuja.

In this case, dairy is condensed milk - and this is very authentic in Brazil.

At this time, it wasn't camel milk [ha ha - despite the fact, that I am living in Dubai] - what I really cannot approve at any chance...

A pity is, that not other Dubai bartenders participated this MxMo - as we do have here quite a lot of camel milk drinks around!

Anyway - see you on the opinionated_minus_alchemist_dot_com!!!

Cheers!

Dominik MJ

Woohoo! Slipping in just under the deadline, here's my entry: Dizzy Dairy.

I prepared two cocktails for the event: the first, an ill-conceived amaro-based take on that old holiday classic: Ferneggnog

ferneggnog.jpg

And the second, a more successful revamping of that emerald-green piece of cocktail frippery, the Grown-up Grasshopper.

grasshopper.jpg

Thanks to Chris for offering to host, and to everyone who took the time to participate.

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles

On with the wrap-up! Sonja Kassebaum over at Thinking of Drinking wrote in with the following -- CA

In working on a cocktail to pair with a dessert course for a recent pairing dinner, I came up with the Jasmine Orchid. It's really a variation on a Ramos Gin Fizz, with both egg and cream, but with vanilla vodka and jasmine instead of gin and orange flower water. Delicious and desserty, it went very well with the apple pie. Recipe, photo and details here!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

From Jessamyn at Food on the Brain -- CA

Not having much experience with dairy-based drinks, my husband and I did some serious experimentation. You can see our hits and misses on my blog, Food on the Brain.

Eventually, I came full circle and settled on Irish Coffee for my submission. Sweet, hot, creamy and caffeinated, what's not to like?

Irish Coffee

3962114009_0aece52279.jpg

Pour 1-2 ounces of Irish whiskey (I like Jameson’s) into a mug or Irish Coffee glass. Pour in hot coffee, leaving some room at the top. Add sugar to taste. Top with sweetened whipped cream. Wrap yourself up in a blanket by the fire, invite a cat up to sit, and enjoy.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Daniel over at Gin Not Vodka send this -- CA

I love dairy. The beautiful textures and creamy flavours that you can give your drinks with dairy can't really be matched any other way. For my drink this month, I was inspired by an odd combination: tea and coffee. This may well sound absurd to those not familiar with it, but I assure you that it's delicious. I call my drink the Taiji Blur:

1oz Patron XO

1oz coffee liqueur

1oz early grey infused gin

0.5oz cream

2 dashes Bitter Truth aromatic bitters

99% cocoa chocolate, for garnish

Shake all with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Grate the chocolate over the top for garnish.

I hope you enjoy the drink! For more detail, pictures and many more drinks please have a look at my blog!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Forrest over at, appropriately, A Drink with Forrest sends this -- CA

i made this drink up a couple of weeks ago; i had some mini's of Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine and i was wondering what to do with them-- then my lover asked me for a 'creamy chocolate sort of drink' and i whipped this up... It was a hit. So here is the recipe (makes 2-- of course):

The CCC

(Creamy Chocolate Catdaddy)

3 1/2 Oz Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine

2 Oz TMD Chocolate Liqueur (or Sub)

3-4 Tbsp of Chocolate Yogurt

depending on how creamy you want your drink-- i used 3)

Stir, dry shake, add ice and shake till chilled

Strain into Chilled Glass,

Garnish with 2 Brandied Cherries

(as symbols of your love)

Add 3-4 Dashes Fee's Aztec Chocolate Bitters

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

From Jonas at drinkoftheweek.com -- CA

Having just completed the Bar Smarts course, I wanted to use some of my knowledge. I wanted to take a classic and modify it slightly and I chose the classic martini of 1/2 Gin, 1/2 Vermouth and a dash of Orange bitters. I also decided to take this martini from before dinner to after.

Chocolate Milk Martini

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

And here are several more participants!

Shawn at rejiggeredcocktails.com is featuring Ice Cream Shots and a Fall Fizz.

Craig at coloneltiki.com is pouring Leche Libres.

Dennis at rockandrye.com is featuring the Rubus Fizz -- which, I have to say, blows my mind.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

SeanMike of scofflawsden.com has two new drinks (one with a variation) that use the limited edition Kahlua cream liqueur. If you don't have that, substitute your favorite cream liqueur or use a mix of milk and coffee liqueur. Check his blog here.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Andrew over at Caskstrength offers the following -- CA

The idea behind this one is simple, in many home bars and in the dark corners of even the craftiest cocktail bars there lies a liar, a bottle of Irish Cream that won't go bad at room temperature. It's quite easy easy to make your own, and do it as well as the name brands and fresh. Moreover, you can tweak the recipes to make it and Irish Whipped Cream.

Here are two simple examples in pouse cafes: The Angel's Tit (Creme de cacao, topped with whipped cream and a cherry), or the classic B-52 (Coffee Liqueur, your new fancy Irish Cream, and topped with Grand Marnier).

For more, click here!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Two more bloggers left:

Nat at alpha-cook.com also made himself some homemade Irish Cream.

And, finally, Jacob Grier whipped up an El Dude -- and, as a bonus, includes a link to yet another classic video from the American Bartending School, mixing up Malibu ("a propriety brand"), Midori, Bailey's, and pineapple to make a Sweet Brown Muck -- oh, sorry, a Scooby Snack.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory