• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tapas/meze ideas

Toufas

hello.

my friends want to have a biggish get together and they want me to help with the cooking. since i cant do everything alone, i was thinking of making some bitesize pieces that i can show them how to do it and i can have a production line of people making them

so, what are your ideas?

You could try gambas al ajillo (shrimp with garlic).

Very easy -- sprinkle salt atop peeled deveined shrimp, let sit for 15 to 20 minutes. heat olive oil in a skillet, lightly brown some chopped garlic, add shrimp. cook until shrimp turn bright pink, remove from heat, add some chopped parsley and serve immediately. great with toast points.

how about any kind of dumpling or similar...like wontons that you could make by just whizzing ingredients together in a food processor then plopping spoonfuls onto wonton wrappers & sealing - just about anyone can do this. Or retro but everyone likes -- wrapping bacon around scallops & searing. Anything on skewers -- veg skewers, chicken, fish/shrimp, or fruit (easiest since no cooking required). You can make them simple or more sophisticated depending what ingredients you choose and the audience eating them.

Get some Medjool dates, show them how to remove the seed and replace it with an almond, then wrap each date in a slice (or half slice) of bacon, stick a toothpick through them to secure the bacon, and then deep fry in olive oil until the bacon is done. Sweet, savory, crunchy, and they always get raves.

I've done bananas and sweet 'taters this way too, just no almond.

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.