• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disappearing eateries

Montclairite

Within the past month, two eating establishments have disappeared overnight; open one day and closed the next. One is Gimmee Jimmy's on Church Street in Montclair; the other is Mr Chu's Vegetarian Chinese at Broadway Square (Bloomfield & Passaic Aves) in West Caldwell. Anyone with any clue about either?

Edited by Montclairite (log)

As I understand it, basically Gimmee Jimme's new owner had a dispute with the landlord regarding the lease. Don't know why the lease wasn't addressed before he bought the business- he had only been there a couple of months.

it doesn't surprise me that Gimme Jimme's closed. we were in there one night after the movies and all three of the staff were sitting behind the counter playing hair salon. they were actually combing out and fixing hair styles behind the counter! it was disgusting. i sent an e-mail to Gimme Jimme's management and they wrote back to say their employees denied doing this (of course!). i also wrote to the Montclair Board of Health but never got a response. the few times i had previously been in there i never really thought their products were worth the money. hopefully, a worthwhile establishment will open up there.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Yep, Gimme Jimmy's certainly was poorly run after the new owners took over; stopped going there after tasting the "improved" baked goods offerings. I'm not surprised the went out of business; it's just the way all the fixtures disappeared overnight that I found so peculiar. I really liked it under previous management.