• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NPR feature on tea

baroness

The program was titled "In Kenya, Tea Auction Steeped in Tradition, Gentility".

In the cool hills high above Nairobi, Kenya, where the people live among the clouds, there are giant tea trees more than a hundred years old. They include the first tea trees ever planted in Kenya, back when it was called British East Africa.

Today, Kenya exports more black tea than any other country in the world. And as NPR's Gwen Thompkins reports, the Mombasa Tea Auction may be one of the last places on earth where Old World manners prevail.

Here's a link to the audio: click.

And here's the transcript: click.

Thanks for the find, baroness.

I heard the story today also thought it was well done. I giggled half the day at the thought of well dressed men, in properly laundered oxford shirts carrying huge spitoons. :rolleyes:

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child