• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Koffman @ Selfridges

Am going on the 9th for lunch, and the Coren review has indeed got me very excited. Even if it is a gimmick, it's a very, very good one. Hell, I'm frankly excited enough about eating on the roof of Selfridges.

Have to admit, though, that I'm not as familiar with Koffman as I should be. Has anyone had experience of the original Tante Claire? What was that like back in the day (especially when compared with today's restaurants)?

Hot Dinners - London's Top restaurants, reviewed by the critics and you

I had three meals at LTC, once when it was at RHR and twice once it moved. The final meal was appalling coming just a few weeks before they shut down. The other two were fantastic, I'll never forget a Langoustine Ravioli served in a beautiful vegetable broth.

Here is a review for the last meal I had there : La Tante Claire

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Actually, here's what he said...

It’s not going to be cheap: £75 for three courses is about as much as you can pay for a set meal in London. But for that you get a legend at the stove for the first time in nearly a decade, along with several of his now-famous protégés – including Tom Aikens, Eric Chavot and Tom Kitchin – doing the peeling and pot-scrubbing. I suspect demand will be high.

Despite my earlier reservations that this is simply a publicity stunt (here) I've made a reservation. I made this decision mainly based on the fact that he has now extended the run so will maybe settle into the kitchen a little more than he would be able in just a week and partly because, knowing my luck, if I don't go I'll miss out on the greatest comeback since Liverpool last won the Champions league. :hmmm:

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

can i start the campaign for marco for next year now please?

and maybe ramsay would like to get back behind the stove for 2011 :laugh:

i'm assuming menu wise it's the same lunch and dinner, i enquired about wine, there's going to be a 200+ bin list with a south west france bias, selected from selfridges with help from the petrus sommellier (not sure who though?).

you don't win friends with salad

can i start the campaign for marco for next year now please?

and maybe ramsay would like to get back behind the stove for 2011 :laugh:

i'm assuming menu wise it's the same lunch and dinner, i enquired about wine, there's going to be a 200+ bin list with a south west france bias, selected from selfridges with help from the petrus sommellier (not sure who though?).

you don't win friends with salad

Despite my earlier reservations that this is simply a publicity stunt (here) I've made a reservation. I made this decision mainly based on the fact that he has now extended the run so will maybe settle into the kitchen a little more than he would be able in just a week .....

Richard Vines article

“The worst part will be the first week,” he says. “Once you know the kitchen, it gets easier. If I was a customer, I wouldn’t come in the first few days.

:raz::laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

So, has anyone been? I went on Friday for lunch and loved it - one of the best dining experiences this year for me. The whole thing just felt like a very special occasion and, you could feel a sense of excitement from both the diners and the staff on hand. I'd also definitely suggest going for Lunch, just so that you can see the view, and I think it's still possible to book for lunch. Highly recommended.

Edited by gavinhanly (log)

I'm interested in the same questions as Matthew!

I'm going tonight and am wondering if I can stray from the 3 courses for £75 that seems to be the norm. Ideally, we could order 2 items from each course with slightly smaller portions to create a tasting menu...

I guess there's a time constraint. We've only got a 2 hour slot :sad:

We went on Friday and posted out thoughts here: http://www.hot-dinners.com/Features/Articles/pierre-koffmans-selfridges-pop-up-restaurant-launches - and you can check out our Twitter page for some pics of the food too.

I thought the food was amazing, with the fois gras starter being a particular winner for me. I did ask if we could keep the menu, but they're only giving them away after the event finishes. We were the very first to arrive so had a great chance to look around the place and have a nice chat with Pierre's partner who seemed amazingly calm about the whole thing!

Oh, and the £75 menu's the only option I'm afraid. Given the nature of the kitchen, they're just not set up for anything veering away from that.

Edited by gavinhanly (log)

Just wrote a long review, fresh back from the restaurant and then lost it :sad:

I'll have another go tomorrow morning.

In summary: memorable, old-fashioned, tasty, lovely but clumsy service, options to go outside the £75 menu if you pay, cold wine, ENORMOUS scallops.

More to come...