• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Carolina BBQ off of I-95

Six-pack-to-go

Hello y'all. I be taking my annual pilgrimage to see my parents at their retirement home in FL. I was wondering if anybody knows the BEST Carolina BBQ off of I-95. I looked on Hollyeats.com but they are all over the state and I jus don't have the time to get lost in NC. Specific directions as to which exit and how far would be helpful.

Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

It's 40-50 miles east of I-95, but great Q (and great atmosphere; if you're lucky, you'll cross paths with the circus people) is worth it: the Skylight Inn in Ayden. Best in the state. PM me for directions if you're interested.

If you can't manage the side trip, check out the Smoke Ring site for recommendations:

smoke me

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Prob not the greatest in NC, and it isn't even in NC (close, though). But you can't get closer to I-95 and not be roadkill

Tiny shack with a sign adjacent to the southbound lanes of I-95, south of Emporia VA. About five miles north of NC. You pass it on your right, go up the ramp, hang a huey, and you're there.

Chopped pork sandwich on white bread (vinegar mustard fixins) will set you back all of $1.50....

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

First, there is absolutely no consensus regarding the best barbecue in North Carolina. There will be peace in the Middle East before folks agree on the "best" NC Q.

Pete Jones' Skylight Inn in Ayden is one of the best barbecue joints in North Carolina, and it is in a very tacky building situated next to a field of collard greens. Hard to beat that. However, they only serve sandwiches, and they don't serve sweet tea, which is sacrilege in NC!

jnt4d.gif

Wilber's is my personal favorite. It's in Goldsboro and is a bit of a hike (probably 45 minutes as well from I-95). It's worth a trip, however.

Bob Garner, a local food writer, just published a book of his 100 favorite barbecue restaurants in North Carolina. Here's the list.

Bob Garner's List

I'd be happy to add lots of details, as I've eaten at dozens of NC places, but I've got to run. You might want to check out this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/ibf/index.php?ac...c211d4715f1f257

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 2 weeks later...

The Sunday (12/1) NY Times styles section has an article about two aspiring film makers who are making the definitive BBQ movie. They recently roasted pigs for a screening party in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn (NY).

Mentioned as worth a road trip are:

Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC (919-778-5218)

Mitchell's in Wilson (252-291-9189) which also ships

Skylight Inn in Ayden (252-746-4113)

Good Ole Boys and Urbane Yankees Mingle

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Mitchell's has totally rebuilt their restaurant, so I'm hoping they'll be as good as always. They're much lesser known than the big boys, but a lot of this is probably due to their relative youth, as they haven't been in business as long as their competition. I can say that they probably have the best pork ribs in the state, and they also have excellent side dishes. Mitchell's is in Wilson, which isnt' too far from I-95. Let me know if you're headed this way, and I'll see if I can't join you!!! :smile:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 15 years later...

I ran across this curated list of BBQ joints in NC the other day on Yelp while perusing Ole Time Barbecue on Hillsborough St, technically in Raleigh but walking distance to Cary. It's by Fred B. from Greensboro who appears to be a destination eater, BBQ aficionado, and a good food writer to boot, at least from my viewpoint. He's got 1,525 Yelp reviews to his credit and an amazing 267 of them, as of this writing are for NC BBQ. I dunno, but my guess is the dude knows his BBQ. I also agree with his reviews of the miniscule number I've been to in this area compared to his far ranging experience. Fred B. seems spot on, and if you want other's opinions, just click on the restaurant name. 

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <