• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using set-up ganache: help please

Lindsey

Much against my advice (and will) one of our chefs made a huge amount of ganache he thought he could put into tart cases and serve as Chocolate Tarts. As expected it set!!! Any ideas how I can use it in a desert? Would indeed make lovely truffles but we don't need truffles sadly and he also put chopped walnuts into the mix - don't ask me why I have not the faintest idea!!! :huh:

can you soften it over barely simmering water until it's loosened up a bit and then put it into the cases? You could pipe the firmed ganache (how firm is it?) into the cases, but the chopped walnuts may make it hard to use a star or other decorative tip unless it is a wide one. It will set up again and may lose some shine (it shouldn't if reheated gently and slowly, but usually this is not the case for me :wacko: as I am hurrying it along) and you could always dust the tops with cocoa if needed.

I have used extra ganache to make a no-bake cheesecake style dessert. Warm ganache to room temp and add some softened cream cheese and whip it together. I don't remember the exact recipe, but I did come out very creamy and did not set to firmly. I had to play with proportions for awhile to get it right.

I heat my ganache in the microwave. 1 minute at 10% power to start. I tend to keep it in the piping bags with both ends sealed, then just throw the whole bag in the microwave until it is just soft enough to pipe again.