• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casa di Amici

Rosie

Lowell and I had a wonderful dinner at Casa di Amici, 17 East Main Street, Denville (BYO) which recently opened up with Chef Anthony Lo Pinto manning the stoves. For appetizers we had an unusual calamari fritta with frisee, Calamata olives and toasted almonds with a lemon vinaigrette. It was a delightful change from calamari with tomato sauce. Pastas, most which are made in house are offered as half and full portions. We also had a half portion of ethereal pappardelle with a rich beef ragu. Can't wait to try the other pastas here especially the potato gnocchi with Chianti braised rabbit. For entrees I had an excellent, perfectly cooked, pan seared Atlantic salmon with artichokes, cannellini beans, thyme, roasted carrots and a red wine jus. Lowell had nut encrusted pork tenderloin over a creamy polenta, Swiss chard, wild mushrooms, shallots and cranberry sauce and proclaimed it to be one of the best renditions of this meat that he has had. The pork was pink in the middle and juicy. We loved the cranberry sauce and polenta that accompanied it also. I would try something different for dessert next time as the chocolate cappuccino pana cotta which reminded me of chocolate pudding was good but not worth the calories. And the coffee--they serve Kona coffee which was rich, delicious and worth ordering.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie,

Thanks so much for the report--your meal sounds fantastic. I grew up in Denville and it's weird to see it become a booming little restaurant town. I've had good to above average meals at Cafe Metro and Heritage Grill near Main Street, and great meals at another BYO Italian about a two minute drive away named Attilio's Kitchen--too bad it's so crowded nowadays that there isn't even room for walk-ins on the weekend!

And let's not forget the always great Denville Dairy...

Thanks again,

Howie

• 1 month later...

We returned to Casa di Amici and Chef Anthony Lo Pinto never fails to impress us. We shared perciatelli pasta with calamari, fennel, garlic and saffron for an appetizer and soaked up the sauce with the warm crispy bread. For entrees I had a healthy pan seared salmon with spinach, cannellini beans, roasted carrots and thyme and Lowell had a nut encrusted pork tenderoin with creamy polenta, Swiss chard, wild mushrooms, shallots and a reduced cranberry sauce. The tangy sauce was perfect with the pork. Dessert was a warm apple cranberry compote with cinamon gelato. The gelato tasted more like vanilla ice cream to me. Lowell said the coffee was very good and it is listed as Kona on the menu. I am assuming that since it was $1.50 it was a Kona blend. The only complaint we had was that the specials were recited without the prices.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Chef LoPinto was at Sweet Basil's in West Orange last year (before Adagio). We ate at the Ryland Inn one week and we went to Sweet Basil's the next week. We enjoyed Chef LoPinto's food better and we told him so. We have friends in the Denville area, so we will get to Casa di Amici. We are also fans of Doug, formerly of Due Amici. He's funny, friendly and he doesn't miss a beat.

• 3 months later...

Recently returned to Casa Di Amici. Hot crispy Italian bread and herberd olive oil were placed on the table when we sat down. Appetizers were: calamari fritta with frisee, Calamata olives and toasted almonds with a lemon vinaigrette; broccoli rabe with extra garlic; and an arulula , basil, roasted peppers and crispy goat cheese salad. Entrees were:prosciutto and sage wrapped veal scaloppine; braised lamb shank and a special of halibut over polenta. As always the dinner was delicious. We were very full and shared homemade gelato and sorbet for dessert. BYO

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 months later...
Sorry to report that Anthony Lo Pinto is no longer at Casa di Amici,  Denville.

Doug has also left.

is this the Doug who used to be at Due Amici in (West?) Orange?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Sorry to report that Anthony Lo Pinto is no longer at Casa di Amici,  Denville.

Doug has also left.

is this the Doug who used to be at Due Amici in (West?) Orange?

Yes. I think Doug is at Ruth Chris in Weehawken now.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie - working in the nearby area, I have been meaning to give this place a try after several favorable posts here, and some recent very good word of mouth...any idea if it is still worth giving a try???

A.D.S.

I believe that Doug is at Ruth Chris in Parsippany.

Where did the chef go?

He is considering a few opportunities. Will let you know as I know he has a large following and I certainly want to partake in his cuisine.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie  - working in the nearby area, I have been meaning to give this place a try after several favorable posts here, and some recent very good word of mouth...any idea if it is still worth giving a try???

I heard that the owner is cooking. Haven't been there but IMHO Anthony was the reason to go there. Will keep you updated if I hear anything else.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I have been to Joe's other restaurant (Gourmet Cafe) where he cooked and always enjoyed my food there. I have been to Casa di Amici once since Joe has been cooking and I enjoyed that as well. I would still go to Casa di Amici even though Dougie and the chef have left because it is a nice atmopshere, nice people and good food. It is also a BYO and has outdoor dining if that interests you.

Susan