• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that are demonically tempting

fooey

I'd hate to see what would happen if I had a large margherita pizza in front of me and wasn't splitting it with someone.

Ditto a loaf of bread. Or a hunk of sharp cheddar or mimolette or parmigiano reggiano.

I have an easier time stopping with sweets than with certain savories.

On the upside, when sugar snap peas are in season I can't stop eating those; an entire one or two pound bag from the market--easy.

My late mother's enchilada casserole and Grandma's Albondigas Soup - both of which (thankfully) my (wonderful) wife has nearly mastered after 10 1/2 years practice... ;) I can't attempt to cook them, because it's kind of like walking on holy ground, I'm afraid I'll be struck down by the 'mama's home cookin' food gods for trespassing on holy ground...

Andes Mints - If they sold them in India I wouldn't fit out my door - as it is I get a (single!) 1lb bag a year (if I'm lucky)...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

For those of you who are 'slaves' to candy corn and its relatives, try it mixed with salted peanuts :wink: !

Right, like I need a new excuse to each more candy corn and peanuts. I am afraid to try this.

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

Nutella. God, take it away from me, now!

Me, too! I cannot have an opened jar of Nutella in the house and not wake up to eat a spoonful, or two... It's a shame really. They have made their product so good that I do not buy it because I can't afford the calories.

Rhonda

I have only ever bought one bottle of this, but had to give it up immediately after. I left the bottle in the fridge, and then practically ate the whole bottle in one sitting by carving hunks of it off while sitting in front of the TV, slouching towards diabetes.

devilled eggs.

potato chips, any kind.

real ragu bolognese (even without the pasta).

good cornbread with good butter.

custard.

chocolate pudding.

meatballs. ("I'll have just one more. After all, they're so tiny.")

and the most demonic of all: roquamole. Don't make this, please. No matter how much you make, you'll eat it all before the guests arrive.

(I should add that I never made the recipe as written - I usually just mix avocado, blue cheese, some chili flakes and a bit of lemon juice.)

Edited by Chufi (log)

I always thought Nutella was the devil, until I came across White Chocolate Wonderful flavored peanut butter. It is WONDERFUL!!

Brownies,baklava,spiced pecans.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman