• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that are demonically tempting

fooey

I don't know which one of you got me to make Thomas Keller's (turns out it's actually Jean-Louis Palladin's) brioche, but now I've gone and done it and am 3/4 done with 1 of the 8 loaves.

Brioche is one of those foods that, if it's around, I cannot resist it. It is the Devil of all bread and it's demonic in its temptation.

Other than brioche, I think only figs tempt me as much. If there's a fig nearby, it shall be mine (unless I manage to make fig preserves, in which case it'll be gone in a fortnight).

We all have our favorites, but what foods really, really tempt you?

What are the ones that, if you cook it or if it's around, you simply can't resist eating all of it, every morsel?

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

well now that you've mentioned it, brioche MUST be eaten promptly, most especially with plenty of butter and possibly toasted. I also cannot let a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie lie. And silly as it is to admit on a foodie website, I cannot for the life of me resist Rice Krispie squares (but they must be made with FRESH ingredients too). Peak season fresh local cherries don't last long,nor does home-made buttercream icing.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more given some time!

Brownies. Really dark, moist, chewy, dense brownies, no nuts.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Macaroni and cheese. I can't even make it anymore because I'll eat it all regardless of how full I feel. I would like to add to this topic things that you must, or feel really tempted to order at a restaurant if you see them on the menu (it may have been a thread in the past...sounds familiar...)

My list (and they often involve sides)

-Mashed potatoes

-fettuccine alfredo

-fried savory cakes of any kind (corn, zucchini, potato latkes, etc.)

-Bread or rice pudding without raisins

Things I cannot say no to:

Fresh salsa and salty chips.

Fudge, good rich dark chocolaty plain fudge. (Or a fudgy plain brownie, but it has to be an amazing brownie.)

Crusty good bread. I don't even need butter, but if crunchy, crispy, crackly bread happens my way, then it totally owns me.

NJ peaches, too. I ate half a bushel of local peaches last week.

Whiskey

I have conquered all my demons but these.

Edited by Lilija (log)

Any cut of pork involving significant amounts of pork fat and/or skin has become my form of culinary crack. That includes bacon, pork belly, roast pork, ham hocks, trotters ... it comes in the house and gets cooked, it's gonna get et before sundown. So I buy in small quantities to minimize the damage. Alas, when I make my cheater's crock-pot carnitas, there's no way to do it in small quantities. But fortunately I can get pork belly in relatively small portions from the local Asian markets (the stuff they have packaged pre-cut in chunks for soup and hotpot), so I can control that damage.

Edited by mizducky (log)

I'm not sure where my extreme delight in cottage cheese came from since neither of my parents can stand it (too many '70's diets, perhaps?) but I have, can and will eat the whole tub in one sitting. Easy.

Ripe and fragrant as all hell nectarines are my main source of summer stomach-aches. I simply cannot stop eating them.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Brioche indeed! I make it into "monkey bread" so each little airy, buttery nugget pops away from the main body of the loaf with just a gentle tug - to be popped into my mouth. I have learned to pile it up in a wider and shallower than normal pain to achieve a larger ratio of crust to crumb.

Cottage cheese? Yes! Especially the large curd cottage cheese (I no longer make my own as often as I used to do) which to me has a distinct flavor, as well as a lovely texture. Plain is fine, with fruit is fine but in the mid-afternoon, when dinner is going to be later than usual, I find that it really goes good with barbecue potato chips (the ripple kind) and I have to portion out the chips and the cheese and put the remainder away before starting in on the snack.

Scones, hot-out-of-the-oven, with sufficient butter or clotted cream...... Perhaps a dollop of homemade preserves, etc.

Bread pudding, especially when prepared with my homemade brioche, either sweet or savory..... Ahhhhh... :wub:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Macaroni and cheese for me too but just plain boiled mac and fresh grated mature Cheddar cheese, tons of it stirred into the hot pasta, lots of black pepper and I will eat till I explode :laugh: Properly made Yorkshire pudding with the Sunday roast beef gravy, the bottom of the pud MUST be crisp from the beef dripping and the gravy must be homemade not a packet mix or tub in sight. Then Eton Mess made with English strawberries and extra thick cream. OH Dear hoping the 'new' thinking on saturated fats is right and they really are the 'good' guys :blink:

Edited by Lindsey (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Honeycrisp apples. Now that they are in season I am eating myself sick in them everyday. Donuts, all kinds, I cannot keep my hands off them and really good scones, right out of the oven and I am done for!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

My short list

Cookies in general but especially chocolate chip

baked shells and cheese with tomato paste and garlic...Cold (in fact most cold leftovers)

the crumb topping off of a fruit crumble, or a coffee cake

Phyllo triangles stuffed with feta

and of course brownies

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W.C. Fields

Friends and acquaintances do not believe that I am not a chocoholic, but I really am not. Now, I could make an exception for gianduja. That stuff is lethal.

However, I am a kettle-style potato chip fiend, regular or pepper styles only. I have to staple the bag shut to keep out of them. And wow betide me if I have even one...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Can't disagree with all of the above, but for me short ribs in chile ancho sauce. Heaven.

HPIM1211.JPG

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Shameful admission: Starburst jellybeans. I will eat the entire bag.

And Pancho's Cheese Dip (a mid-South regional specialty) with crispy, salty tortilla chips.

Fried okra.

Fresh corn.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Nutella. God, take it away from me, now!

Me, too! I cannot have an opened jar of Nutella in the house and not wake up to eat a spoonful, or two... It's a shame really. They have made their product so good that I do not buy it because I can't afford the calories.

Rhonda

Many sweets that taste particularly good: Key Lime Pie. Bittersweet chocolate mousse. Lots of different kinds of cookies -- Snickerdoodles. Cinnamon rolls.

And for some unknown reason, since I don't eat in movie theaters and on the rare occassions that I do this is it: Sour Patch Kids.

I will chew my way maniacally through an entire bag, one right after another, until they are gone.

Hot, light breads as mentioned above and this can be the incredible popovers at BLT Prime or it could mean the Pillsbury crescent rolls someone's mom served. Just needs melted butter and a little bit of steam and that's it. It's gone.

When Krispy Kreme was new to my area, I got a dozen with a friend and we sat down and ate them all, right in the store. The glaze hadn't even dried yet.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Oh and another one, candy corn and those darn Brocks mellowcreme pumpkins. I will eat bags of them from now until holloween.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Broch's mellowcremes. Any type of oatmeal cookie. Good mac & cheese, especially when made from the leftovers in the cheese drawer because it ends up with a more complex flavor.

Like most people, I also have no self control when it comes to bread. I *love* bread. If I ever become diabetic I'm probably going to cry. Hard. Homemade potato bread with bacon and cheddar mixed in is my favorite.