• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking a Whole Leg of Lamb >Cannot find a recipe cause its BIG

Aloha Steve

Lfronte.jpgIts a bone-in and the top 1/3 is tied with butchers twine.

Lbacke.jpg

I have never cooked Lamb before let alone a piece that weighs more than either of my two dogs! :unsure:

I think the idea is the same as a Beef Roast, either hit it high for a short period of time, then lower temp or vise a versa. I'm with the hit high, get a crust and lower till the temp hits the mark one wants.

What I'm asking for are tips, seasonings, anything else you folks can suggest.

Thanks!

I think it should have a name.....Bo ? LOL

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Leg of lamg should be served pink so you're thinking the right way in the high heat for 20 min/turn it down low method; I'd suggest 220c/425f for 20 minutes and then 20 minutes per pound at 190c/375f.

That said, if you've got a rare or heritage breed (such as Soay or Hebridean) the fat content can be different and it may be best reducing the time in the cooler oven.

As for flavourings; garlic, rosemary and anchovy are a classic combination - simply cut the garlic into slivers, take the rosemary leaves off and chop the anchovy into decent sized pieces and then cut deep, thin holes in the lamb and place the slivers etc into the holes, either on their own or in a combination. I always find it's best to do this before and then waiting for the flavours to permeate for a good few hours. The result is a beautifully perfumed piece of meat with accents of roasted garlic and rosemary (the anchovy seems to melt into the meat leaving a wonderful umami hint).

Other good flavourings are garlic/lemon zest and thyme, harissa and preserved lemon or even hay and thyme (get a big bunch of hay, mix lots of thyme in it and tie it round the leg before chucking it into the oven. I'd stick with the garlic, rosemary and anchovy for your first time - it's the classic for a reason.

I agree about the garlic, rosemary, and anchovy. Given that terrific fat (don't trim it!) the ideal set-up for such a big hunk of meat (or a whole lamb) is rotisserie. However, that's not the way to go if you've never dug a pit or have an otherwise usable set-up. Given that you're in Honolulu, though, perhaps some local caterer would rent you one. That assumes you've got the time...!

If you can't go that route, note that the delicious fat presents a cooking problem, particularly if you grill: the flareups will be gigantic over direct heat. You should also foil-wrap that shank end (the last third, from the photos) to prevent it from overcooking, no matter how you go.

This is one of life's great meat experiences, and your bravery is laudable. Take lots of photos and good luck!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thanks guy's, got a good idea of how to approach seasoning and cooking, I'll be sure to wrap the bottom with foil.

I'm going to cook it in my oven on the convection roast setting.

Should I wrap the bottom right from the start ?

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

I season pretty much as Ross recommends--garlic, rosemary, black pepper, kosher salt all combined into a paste with a mortar and pestle. No need for foil on the bottom end, in my opinion. Some will be a little more done, some a little less, because not everyone likes it the same way.

Usually I remove the awkwardly shaped bone at the butt end and the long bone in the middle leaving only the small shank bone, rub seasonings inside and slice under the fat and put more of the seasoning between the fat and the muscle, then tie it all up with twine and roast on a rack, 425F for 20 minutes and down to 350F or 375F until the internal temperature is about 120F and let it rest before slicing. About 20 minutes after turning the temperature down, I usually flip it for about 20 minutes to get some crust on the bottom, and I baste as needed. It looks like you may already have the bone removed at the large end, in which case, you wouldn't need to do that, but if you remove the long bone and leave just the shank bone, it makes a nice presentation and is very easy to slice straight down against the grain of the meat, which makes for better texture, and it leaves a piece still on the bone, because there's always someone who wants that piece.

If you want to know what to expect before you cut into it, here's a video that shows how to fully bone a leg of lamb (all three bones removed in this case)--

Lamb fat isn't quite like beef or pork fat, and more isn't always better. Depending on the lamb, too much fat can give an overpowering flavor, which is probably what most people who say they don't like lamb think that lamb tastes like. The solution to that is either to roast at a higher temperature for a shorter time (like 400F until it's done) or be careful not to have too much fat. If you have a rotisserie setup that turns continuously, then you can leave a little more fat on.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Oh, easy! You just buy a Tandoori oven and install it on the patio. They're really heavy and really, really expensive, but that's a whole leg of lamb and it requires love. :laugh:

Can't you just treat it like Hawai'ian pig, wrap it in banana leaves, bury it in charcoal, and check on it in a couple of days?

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

Can't you just treat it like Hawai'ian pig, wrap it in banana leaves, bury it in charcoal, and check on it in a couple of days?

Hey fooey, are you trying to have me burn down my house, nay the whole block? :laugh:

If I attempted that I make CNN news.

I love Kalua pig and cabbage. I even knew how to make before being eGull-a-tized but I started with pig already out of the imu.

I agree with most of the advice already given, but nobody has talked about gravy. This is one of the wonderful side benefits of roast lamb.

Its simple. Just pour off the fat from the roasting pan. Add some red wine to de glaze the pan ( you're doing this over high heat on the stove top.) Add some lamb stock if you have it then boil to reduce.

Turn the heat down then add full heavy cream. Boil until thick and then pour off.

You will have a super gravy to pour over your lamb or over you oven roasted potatoes.

Enjoy.

I agree with most of the advice already given, but nobody has talked about gravy. This is one of the wonderful side benefits of roast lamb.

Its simple. Just pour off the fat from the roasting pan. Add some red wine to de glaze the pan ( you're doing this over high heat on the stove top.) Add some lamb stock if you have it then boil to reduce.

Turn the heat down then add full heavy cream. Boil until thick and then pour off.

You will have a super gravy to pour over your lamb or over you oven roasted potatoes.

Enjoy.

Dave, I have beef, veal and chicken demi-glaze, would any of these do instead of lamb stock?

Ok, I trimmed out the large bone on the butt end and took out the shin bone. By then it was sought of butterflied. I took advantage of that and put a good deal of the marinate/paste inside and tied. As I made many cuts inside to take out the bones, the marinate/paste got into a lot of area.

I used fresh Rosemary, minced garlic, honey, salt, a little lemon juice, lemon zest and honey.

I cut slits on the outside all around, maybe 15 and filled in with mixture.

Salt & peppered outside and it is now sitting in the roasting pan in the fridge.

Not sure if I will, spread VOO infused with blood orange salt & pepper again before I put into oven.

Also not sur if I will leave it overnight to soak up all the flavors or the three hours.

I am grateful that the butcher at Lobel's started the cut of the large bone at the butt end.

I didn't ask for it that way but being LOBEL"S they knew to do it as a matter of course.

Looks amazing- I hope the roast turned out well! Something to consider for the next leg of lamb might be the seven hour leg of lamb recipe- this looks pretty close to my go-to recipe:

http://mzkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/02/seven-hour-leg-of-lamb.html

It makes the house smell heavenly, is very low maintenance, and when serving to guests, it saves me from worrying about whether the right doneness is available to everyone. The vegetables are insanely good, too- my sister learned to ADORE turnips because of this recipe!

It's looking good, let us know how it turns out.

Also - you might want to consider peeling and roughly chopping some carrot and onion to make a bed for the lamb to sit on in the roasting pan - add a small amount of water (you don't want it to touch the lamb) and during cooking this will start mingling with the lamb juices to give you a start on your jus/gravy (and it'll help keep that bad boy moist as well).

Here is the end result.

I waited about 4 hours after dressing, drizzled aforementioned EVOO w salt & rosemary on right before putting into 425 oven for 30 min. Turned it down to 350 and when the temp hit 143 took it out and let it sit for about an hour.

Crust terrific, flavor good. I will be able to tell more tomorrow. Its 10:25 PM & I burned the inside of my mouth earlier :hmmm:

lambdo.jpg

It came out just a tad above medium. We have been eating our meat medium-well, so we are slowly training ourselves to eat meat a lower temp.

I did follow Dave's directions to make gravy. It came out good but it does taste like a beef gravy as Ross thought it might using the beef flavor. I should have known better as I have been working with this demi-glaze for a while now and I know it is very strong.

I want to thank you all and as I am enjoying the meat I will think of all the help I was given. Even my wife who does not like lamb, tried it and asked for seconds. :wub::biggrin:

lamdone.jpg

lambwbone.jpg

Hey fooey, are you trying to have me burn down my house, nay the whole block? :laugh:

If I attempted that I make CNN news.

I love Kalua pig and cabbage. I even knew how to make before being eGull-a-tized but I started with pig already out of the imu.

I come from the Beelzebub School of Cookery. If the fire department isn't having dinner with you, the heat wasn't high enough! :laugh: Unless, of course, we have ze' French saucier hat on and are using the copper pan and the induction burner and Schubert leider is on the stereo.

That leg of lamb looks great, btw.

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

• 1 year later...

Along with the usual rib roast for Christmas, I roasted a leg of lamb to accommodate people who can't handle anything less than medium done meat.

I started with a 6.8lb whole leg which I'd planned on de-boning and rolling. But my sister who is our guest from PA, suggested roasting bone-in. I did both.

After removing excess fat from the surface, I frenched the shank bone then grabbed the end of the thigh bone with one hand and using a boning knife with the other, I scraped the flesh off the bone all the way to the knee joint.

Then I made a cut at the joint through which the knee joint was de-jointed?

PC254441.jpg

The thigh bone was removed (just to make sure it did)

PC254442.jpg

The bone was reinserted and the leg was trussed.

PC254443.jpg

View of the bottom

PC254444.jpg

From the top after it has been seasoned and studded with 20 garlic cloves

PC254451.jpg

The leg was roasted at 325*F for 2 hours.

PC254539.jpg

It took a little twist and tug to remove the bone from the leg

PC254544.jpg

PC254547.jpg