• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

69 Colebrooke Row

danielcollins

I've been hearing about this place from various people over the last couple of months, and so when I found myself in Islington after work yesterday I stumbled in to see what the fuss was about.

It's a tiny wee room on the corner of the street with no outside signage that I could see, located right next to a much larger, flashier bar. Inside, it's dimly lit with a few low tables along the walls and barstools dotted around, including 5 at the bar itself. That's where we perched ourselves and it was the perfect position from which to admire the perpetual motion of Tony, the head honcho (and newly crowned international barman of the year, no less) as he does his thing.

After trying a couple of drinks from the menu (the cognac based Spitfire being my favourite) we ended up just letting Tony suggest drinks based on what sort of thing we fancied, and he came up with a string of totally perfect drinks, despite my rather vague indications of preference (I'm no cocktail expert and may also have been a little tipsy by this point!).

The staff were really friendly and there was no pretentiousness or preciousness about the place at all. I can't recommend this bar highly enough, but please don't go on Monday as my girlfriend is moving to London and I want us to be able to get a seat!

Also, where else should I be drinking around London?

Edited by danielcollins (log)

• 5 years later...

By the book, do you mean the Cocktail Lab? If so, it's for sale, but comparatively speaking, if Liquid Intelligence is the full iceberg, Conigliaro's book is just the tip.

By the book, do you mean the Cocktail Lab? If so, it's for sale, but comparatively speaking, if Liquid Intelligence is the full iceberg, Conigliaro's book is just the tip.

I was talking about this book. Is that the same thing?