• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans breakfast suggestions

CMA

Hello everyone again. Since I got such a healthy response from my inquiry about "Emeril's vs. Cochon vs. K-Paul's", I decided to post an inquiry regarding the best weekend breakfast in the CBD/FQ that is casual but delicious (i.e. no Galatoires, Brennans, etc.). I've read wildly conflicting reviews about Cafe Fleur de-Lis for breakfast, for instance, and am seeking some guidance. Thanks in advance...

I am actually kinda shocked that there are reviews of Cafe Fleur de-lis. Its really kind of nothing place that happens to do breakfast all day, the food is cheap, nothing wrong with it really, they can make toast bacon and eggs with the best of them. As far as hot breakfast, your options are a bit limited. There is Mothers, which is high on the hearty side, but they aren't finessing many things over there. Palace Cafe does a Sunday brunch at 10:30, and I wouldn't put it in a fancy place category. There is also the Clover Grill, which is your basic diner, steaped in history of course, as well as Johnny's, which is better known for poboys than breakfast. If you just need a Danish there is Croissant d'Or Patisserie and the Boucherie as well as Cafe DuMond, Other than that, I would see what your hotel or one of the others is doing. If you want something more interesting you really have to leave the CBD / French Quarter area and mix it up with the locals. Charlie

Edited by saturnbar (log)

If you have time for an early morning sojourn on the St. Charles Trolley, and try to make time, consider the Camellia Grill on Carrollton Avenue. Basic southern breakfast, which I consider a good thing. Linen napkins. Maple syrup pourers full of melted butter. A classic and classy New Orleans breakfast joint.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 3 weeks later...

I was out today enjoying the weather and I noticed a spot called the Old Coffee Pot, which is next door to Pat Obrien's and has a rather attractive open air patio area with large murals on the wall. From the menu it appears that they do a number of eggs sardou type dishes but are not big on the your conventional two eggs any style with your choice of ... type thing. ch