• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boulangeries in Normandy

eatrustic

I'm planning a split couple of weeks first in Normandy and then in the Dordogne starting in mid October. While I'm sure to find all kinds of great Walnut breads in the Dordogne I haven't come up with much on Normandy in the way of Pain de Campagne. Although I plan to set up base in Calvados country I'll travel anywhere for great breads.

In particular I've seen recipes in some N. American baking books (Jeffrey Hamelman as well as Joe Ortiz in the Village Baker) referring to a levain bread made with apples and cider that originated in Normandy. Is this a common bread or a specialty item? Any help locating a bakery making bread like this would be much appreciated.

As well, any great Patisserie suggestions are welcome.

thanks!