• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian source for demiglace?

isomer

Does anyone have a source for demiglace for retail purchase in Canada? I love the More Than Gourmet demi, but they tell me they can't sell to Canada anymore! I tried Bonewerks as well, and it's the same story :(

Here's a couple of things: There must be a place that sells soups and stocks in Toronto? They should make demi but in any case you might want to try posting in the Ontario Cooking section here as you'll get a much better response.

I'm assuming this is for home use so you might want to consider making your own and freezing it. I use chicken bones for mine using the exact technique for veal bones and you'd be hard put to tell the difference especially if you use it to make things like Beef Short Ribs etc.

In fact here's a link to a blog that shows that exact technique [post='http://livingstoncooks.blogspot.com/2007/12/sauce-production-101-chicken-demi-glace.html']Chicken Demi.. One good batch will freeze up for a few months worth of meals at a fraction of what you would be charged for what is very often a lousy quality faux demi that has powdered beef base and too much thickener.

Thanks for the pointer to Cumbrae's, Matt. I had never even heard of them before. I'll check them out.

Eatrustic, I agree! I *much* prefer to make my own demi, but lately I simply haven't had the time. And fwiw, I find the better than gourmet demi to be very good quality.

I've used Williams-Sonoma de Boeuf Demi glaze two nights ago in a short rib recipe and the dish turned out super. They have W.S. in Canada.

There is also Veal and Chicken glaze.

Heres a link to their website and the products.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

The WS stores in Canada are not allowed to carry the demi glace. They used to, but not anymore. I'll have to try Cumbrae's if More than Gourmet isn't shipping here anymore. Rats.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I don't know where you live but I'm in Ottawa and I get my veal demi-glace from the Brookstreet Hotel here. Actually, they call it "veal Jus" but when cold, it becomes a stiff jelly. I freeze it in 1 tablespoon portions and then I can throw it into whatever I'm making. I pay $30 a litre. You might try a good hotel/restaurant and see if they will sell you some.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have a source for demiglace for retail purchase in Canada? I love the More Than Gourmet demi, but they tell me they can't sell to Canada anymore! I tried Bonewerks as well, and it's the same story :(

I ordered and received both chicken and veal demi from this supplier, of the more than gourmet demi glace, just last week. I'm in Ontaro, and there seemed to be no problem with the order.

more than gourmet

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.