• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican food in San Diego w/ vegetarian options

kelly001

Aqui es Texcoco is very good, but not very vegetarian. It's a lamb barbacoa place. They do, however, do a mean potato taquito and their salsa negro is outstanding.

Super Cocina - 37th & University - is probably the best Mexican in town. It's true home-style cooking. They usually do have at least one or two vegetarian options. Don't be put off by the steamtable service, what is in it needs the warm, moist heat. They will give you a taste of anything (or everything)to help you make up your mind.

El Comal - 1/2 block north of University on Illinois - is another good choice. Here's the link to their menu

Mama Testa's on University between Richmond and Vermont is wonderful, all they do are tacos. 26 tacos, one for each state in Mexico, and they have quite a few vegetarian options. Their Empapados (hard shell mashed potato tacos) are absolutely out of this world. The owner recently beat Bobby Flay on Throwdown doing fish tacos. http://www.mamatestataqueria.com/

If you do seafood, the Mariscos German taco truck at 35th and University is great. Try the taco gobernador.

El Vitral and Candelas are downtown and do upscale Mexican. El Agavehas been a round a long time and has one of the best tequila and mezcal selections in San Diego. Their claim to fame is mole, they do several varieties every day. El Agave is upscale but can be a bit uneven at times.

If you're going to be in Old Town (which is where El Agave is located) skip the bulk of the options. The only two worth trying are Casa Guadalajaraor Berta's - http://bertasinoldtown.com/

Another very good option is Cantina Mayahuel - http://www.cantinamayahuel.com/ Mole and mezcal are on the menu here and both are very good. If you go, you will most likely be the only non-local there.

If you really want to get off the beaten path try Menuderia Don Vincente. 2637 Highland Ave in National City. The menudo is good, so is the pozole. If going on the weekend get there before 10am or the place is mobbed. It is very, very good. Not sure they've got much for vegetarians tho'

My last recommendation to you is actually for a market. Northgate Market - http://www.northgatemarkets.com/ - is a dream for anyone who lives in an area without Mexican markets or much Mexican food. This place is amazing. Plus it sells food. It's got a taqueria and a deli counter selling plate lunches. The bakery is fabulous. The bolillos and teleras make the place smell wonderful, not to mention they taste good. There is a huge selection of cookies, pastries and other sweet treats that can be purchased individually to go. Northgate also has a cheese counter and a ceviche counter where you can get as little or as much as you like of each, plus their like Costco, they'll give you samples.

Are you looking for a taco shop or Mexcian food. San Diego is great for taco shops, traditional Mexican food...not so much

Sorry some of the links are not embedded. The link function quit working about half-way through this post.

Enjoy your trip.

Hmmm ... the problem here is that with Mexican food, as with many other ethnic cuisines, "authentic" and "stringently vegetarian" are kind of disjoint sets. Even in an ostensibly meatless dish, the traditional cook will want to sneak in some meat products.

Kalypso didn't mention these two because, frankly, they can't claim to be as autentico as Super-Concina (which is, I agree, totally fab). These two also have been known to have flakey service and uneven quality. But I've had good meals at both places--and your vegetarian fellow-diner will definitely have plenty of options:

Ranchos Cocina - go to the location in Ocean Beach (OB), at 1830 Sunset Cliffs Blvd. -- not the frequently-overcrowded and service-lagged location on 30th St. in North Park. Very large menu; many vegetarian options, including a truly tasty shiitake-based meat substitute that can be subbed into many otherwise-meat-filled dishes. I also like their seafood soup a whole lot.

Pokez -- Be aware that this place is a scene -- a SoCal-Mex corner taco shop run by Chicano skate punks, its clientele reflects its artsy/alternative/tattooed/boho neighborhood. Sometimes it's mobbed; at such times, service can lag and randomize like hell. But I've met the young man who inherited this joint from his family and turned it into a social hub for his friends and the neighborhood, and he's a mensch, a good guy. The food--I enjoy it a lot; it's not authentic Mexican, but it's totally authentic SoCal taco-shop burritos-big-as-your-arm fare. And they do vegetarian as well as with-meat dishes. Go on an off-hour (i.e. a weekday between the lunch and dinner rush).

Thanks. I ended up being able to try El Comal and it was a great experience. I never thought a vegetarian burrito could taste that good (oh! the combination of asparagusy Cactus and Cilantro!) The meat eaters were very pleased with their mole sauces as well. We were clearly the only gringos in the place. The staff was EXTREMELY friendly and they offered our toddler his meal for free. :) Great experience.

Thanks. I ended up being able to try El Comal and it was a great experience. I never thought a vegetarian burrito could taste that good (oh! the combination of asparagusy Cactus and Cilantro!) The meat eaters were very pleased with their mole sauces as well. We were clearly the only gringos in the place. The staff was EXTREMELY friendly and they offered our toddler his meal for free. :) Great experience.

Good choice :-)

El Comal is very, very good.