• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast and Lunch suggestions between NOLA & Natchez?

tjdnewyork

We're flying into MSY, landing at about 9:30am and heading straight for Natchez (we'll hit NOLA on the way back). Any tips for local joints to hit for breakfast and lunch on the way up. Ideally breakfast would be relatively near the airport and lunch a few hours up north. Thanks.

You might like the Fat Hen Grill, on Vets in Kenner. It's operated by a former Emeril's sous chef. Personally, I'd go to Pho Bang, 8814 Veterans Blvd, for a big bowl of pho tai and a glass of cafe sua da (iced coffee with condensed milk), which is my idea of the perfect breakfastt; Pho Bang opens at 10 am. If you prefer pastry, try Chez Pierre (2211 Veterans Blvd) for croissants, pate chaud (pork meat pies), and similar bakery fare.

It's barely three hours from NOLA to Natchez (depending on Baton Rouge traffic), so you might not be hungry until you hit Natchez itself. If you are meandering slowly up to Natchez, St. Francisville makes a nice stopping point--it's large enough to offer several restaurant options. (I can't speak for luncheon options, though.) Once you're north of St.F, US 61 is very rural. (Oh, there's a Sonic drive-in in Woodville, for a cherry limeade fix.)