• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril's vs. Cochon vs. K-Paul's

CMA

Hello everyone...I am going to be visiting the Crescent City the last weekend in September. I am hoping to hear some current thoughts/opinions of those who would know which 2 of the three (Emeril's vs. Cochon vs. K-Paul's) would be the best use of my two evening dining availabilities. I realize there are many other delicious dinner options to consider, but due to my dining companion's strong preferences, the location of the hotel, and the very limited schedule these will be the only three contenders (for this trip). Much thanks for any and all input.

Cochon and Emeril

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I like K-Paul's, but it's a complete throwback to the 80s. Expect everyone at the table to exact same sides with their mains.

For the money, we just expect more effort today.

Last time I went, I enjoyed myself and had a good meal. But that was three years ago and I haven't felt the urge to return since.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I can't speak from direct experience, but a good friend of mine often mentions having an excellent meal at K-Paul's sometime in the last couple of years, I forget exactly when... This friend visits New Orleans often, has eaten seemingly everywhere in the city, and has guided me to great restaurants when I've been there. So K-Paul's has been on my list to try, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Of course that's relatively flimsy testimony compared to locals who have been there more recently and/or regularly and didn't care for it. If it's more a matter of it being a semi-famous joint mobbed by tourists, well, that's the amazing thing about New Orleans, sometimes those places are good...

That said, I think the correct answer to your original question is Cochon and Cochon.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Emeril's has really good food, and I like Cochon, but in my very humble opinion, Cochon is more of a lunch atmosphere. It's not someplace I want to go for dinner.

K-Pauls is more old fashioned Creole, and I like the place. It has a very special place in my heart -- so my opinion might be biassed, but that would be my recommendation for dinner.

Rhonda

Thanks very much for the sharing of opinions. The responses were amazingly consistent with not one dissention. And so it is....Emeril's and Cochon. I am happy to report 7:00 pm reservations on Friday at Emeril's and for 6:30 pm on Saturday at Cochon have been secured. I'm already perusing their online menus.

Any menu suggestions/commentary welcome. I'll be sure to report back.

Not to worry -- I'm sure you will love Cochon's. It's very good. I tried to get them to cater an off-site cochon-de-lait, but they're not set up for that. They do, however, have roast suckling pig and I'll bet that is one fantastic piglet!

Rhonda