• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L.A. Cheap Food/Street Food

maggiethecat

We are heading from Chicago to L.A. the day after tomorrow to visit daughter/daughter's b'friend. They are relativiely new to L.A., but happy eaters.

Ermmm...Mom and Dad won't be able to take four (or two!) to any of the pricey restaurants I've read about from you Angeleno eGulletiers. But Daughter keeps raving about L.A. streetfood. Any ideas to add to hers?

You're thinking: "Lady! Just eat the street food, already!" We will! But anything you suggest will add even more to the banquet.

And what's a "Papusa?" Or a "Baja Fresh?"

The only eating out I did last time I was in LA was a Korean Barbecue place (good) on Sawtelle and a tapas place called Sangria in Hermosa Beach. Got a good sandwich at the West Hollywood Market.

Perhaps we'll settle the question: Which is better, In-and-Out-Burger or Fatburger?

Not that it matters particularly, but Daughter lives off Los Feliz near Griffith Park.

Thanks in advance!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Not that it matters particularly, but Daughter lives off Los Feliz near Griffith Park.

I have friends who used to live in that area, there's a great little taqueria/ stand, starts with a G I think. Great burritos, thinner and smaller than the usual California monsters, but very good. Cheap too. I'll email them and get the name and street for you. Before they moved, that was always a must-eat place for me.

And don't forget Tommy's burgers, if you want to do a proper LA Burger taste test. Which is the place that does the chili-cheese-egg burgers? Those are good. But maybe only at 3 am after being out on the town all night. :wink:

Not exactly sure what you mean by streetfood. Something you walk up and buy? Something you eat in your car? A papusa if I am not mistaken is a Salvadorean thing (never had one, yet). A Baja Fresh is a pretty good small chain of relatively healthy Mexican Restaurants where you can get ahi tacos and other good stuff. Lower in fat. Some street food: Grand Central Market, between Hill & Broadway, downtown, has good stuff, particularly Mexican, like gorditas, burritos, tacos. Pink's on La Brea is known for it's chili dogs. Orson Welles purportedly ate 18 in one sitting/standing. Oki Dog on Pico has bacon and pastrami wrapped dogs. Jay's Jayburger at Virgil & Santa Monica Blvd., has good chili cheese burgers and dogs. The In N Out burger to order is the Double Double Animal Style. Get The Deal at Fatburger, asking for the burger "on the char." However, IMHO, the best is the Hamburger Platter at Thai American Express Cafe, on Rowena in Silver Lake, not far from your location. Also good are the care asada burritos and the tamales at Yuca's on Hillhurst also near you. But what is of interest to you? Want Thai? Japanese? Chinese? Middle Eastern?

Here's a link to LA Weekly's Where to eat now feature done by Jonathan Gold and Michele Huneven. http://www.laweekly.com/food/totallist.php

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

And don't forget Tommy's burgers, if you want to do a proper LA Burger taste test.  Which is the place that does the chili-cheese-egg burgers?  Those are good.  But maybe only at 3 am after being out on the town all night.  :wink:

Do NOT eat at Tommy's unless you're drunk and want to throw up. Jay of Jay's Jayburgers used to work at Tommy's and has taken Tommy's chili cheese burger and made it digestible. You don't have to call HazMat before attempting to eat it. Seriously.

Two more things. You should go to Olvera Street and check the scene and eat chiles en nogada at La Golondrina there (it's a seasonal dish that uses fresh pomegranate). And from there, you are not far from Philippe's, 1001 N. Alameda, where you can get a nice French Dip sandwich (they claim to have invented it) and they sell Silver Oak cab by the glass (think it's $15 for a good pour).

If you're doing a chili-dog and burger tour, don't forget Carney's.

Nobody compares to In-n-Out, however, because In-n-Out stands quite alone as a separate category (I don't have a name for this category -- it's the In-n-Out category). A "Double-Double Animal Style" might well be the best option, but there's something to be said for trying, first, the plain hamburger, then the cheeseburger, then the double-double, then the double-double animal. Like surmounting Everest, the journey enhances your appreciation of the summit.

The reason hollywood helpfully offered the "animal style" tip is that it's not on the menu. The In-n-Out menu is very simple -- Hamburger, Cheeseburger, Double-Double (double meat, double cheese). These are assembled with raw onion, tomato, lettuce and a thousand-islands-type sauce. Fries, drinks and shakes. That's it. That's all that's been on the menu since the 50s. That's why you have to know about the

Secret Menu.

The secret menu items are pretty widely known now, but a few years ago they really were a secret. People found out about secret menu items by overhearing someone's order. That's how we learned about the "well done" fries option -- as soon as you order that, the order-taker turns to the deep-fry person and yells "fries well done!" and the most recently cooked basket is plunged back into the oil.

There are two very cool things about the secret menu. One is that it's a real thing, invented by kids, and not a calculated corporate promotion. The official In-n-Out website makes no mention of any secret menu. A real burger subculture, pure Southern Californian. The second cool thing is -- each secret menu item has a button on the cash register. When you order a burger animal style, they press the animal style button, and there it is, right on your receipt.

Some day, some day I will order a 4x4. Just to say I did it.

--

ID

--

Not exactly sure what you mean by streetfood.  Something you walk up and buy?  Something you eat in your car?  

Either and both, but mostly what you walk up and buy! All your suggestions are extremely appreciated.

Come to think of it, should Mummy and Daddy feel expansive one night, could you recommend anyplace -any cuisine- that is good, Angeleno-ish, dinner for four (And some beer) aroung $150.00?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Monkeymay is starting a restaurant but I don't know if it'll be open by the time you arrive. Otherwise, Trattoria Farfalla, 1978 Hillhurst, Los Feliz, 323/661-7365 or Off Vine, 6263 Leland Way, Hollywood, 323/962-1900. Eat well.

Monkeymay is starting a restaurant but I don't know if it'll be open by the time you arrive.  Otherwise, Trattoria Farfalla, 1978 Hillhurst, Los Feliz, 323/661-7365 or Off Vine, 6263 Leland Way, Hollywood, 323/962-1900.  Eat well.

Thanks, Hollywood! We will check this one out fer sher.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

there's a great little taqueria/ stand, starts with a G I think.

So much for memory, it's Yuca’s on Hillcrest between Franklin and Los Feliz Blvd.

My friend did warn me though that while still good, it's not as good as it used to be.

Are Tommy's really that bad? I'll admit it's been a long time since I had one. . . .

I am excited to hear about Monkeymay's restaurant. I would love to hear more!

Here are some more ideas--mainly inexpensive sit-down places:

Cha Cha Chicken (outside)- Jerk chicken stand in Venice by the beach. Yumm. I like to go there for food then spend all my money on drinks at Shutters (fancy beach hotel with a casual-yet-elegant lounge) down the street.

Zankou Chicken- An institution. Get extra garlic puree. I go to the one on Sunset at Normandie.

(The 2 above are both order-at-the-counter set ups.)

There is good, inexpensive Ethiopian food on Fairfax between Olympic and Pico. I love Nyala. The best dishes are the ones where the meat is NOT on the bone. Also, the Kitfo (like steak tartare) is good.

Versailles is favorite spot for Cuban style chicken with garlic and lemon, fried plantains, black beans. I think the best food is at the Venice Ave location.

LA has some great Thai places. My favorite is Jitlada on Sunset; Palms Thai and Sanamluang Cafe are also well liked.

For Chinese, I am very fond of Yang Chow in Chinatown; it is a favorite among westerners but I think it is SO good. Phoenix Inn is good too-a bit funkier and BYOB. If you are up for more of an excursion, go to Monterey Park. I had delish dim sum at Ocean Star seafood there, but I am no expert in the restaurant options in that area.

You should have some sushi while you are here--anyone know any that are reasonably priced?

If you are in Beverly Hills and need lunch, Mulberry Street Pizza on Beverly Drive has very good NY style pizza. Peet's coffee is nearby--best coffee. (Peet's is a Berkeley institution which is fast turning into a CA chain, but the coffee is still the best!)

At some point (when you are hot and a little tired), go to a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and get an Ultimate Mocha Ice Blended. This is where Starbucks got the Frapuccino idea; the original is much better. A Los Angeles original!

I like Baja Fresh a lot, but Poquito Mas is my favorite of the westernized Mexican places.

For a more authentic place, Guelagetza is good for mole. I am sure LA is full of great Mexican spots--any other ideas?

For your nicer dinner, my first choice would be Cobras and Matadors. It is kind of trendy and can be overcrowded (get a reservation), but the food--tapas-- is delicious (you MUST get the lentils, the octopus, and the bunuelos for dessert). They have no liquor license, and they charge a $5 corkage, unless you buy wine from the little Spanish wine shop next door. (The store is overpriced, but you still pay LOTS less than you would with a regular wine list.)

Another nicer spot to consider is 410 Boyd. Has anyone been recently? I enjoyed the food (California style, very well priced, served in an artsy downtown space) but I haven't been back for a while.

I would put in a plug for Taylor's Steakhouse, a great, old school place with fab martinis (right, Monkeymay?). But since you live in Chicago, maybe going for steaks in LA would not be the best choice. :raz:

mixmaster b's comments are worthy of your consideration. I definitely agree about Zankou Chicken. I was actually thinking of Poquito Mas when I commented on Baja Fresh--though the 2 are similar in using less lard than typical Mexican operations.

As for inexpensive sushi, the best bang for your buck is Hide, 2040 Sawtelle Blvd., West LA. Cash only, no reservations, usually a wait (but worth it particularly if you sit at the bar), no atmosphere, just good sushi.

I've never eaten at Cha Cha Chicken, but at Virgil & Melrose is the original Cha Cha Cha which is a trip in itself has good camerones negros, garlic pizza, plaintains, etc.

As for Thai, I like Ruen Pair (BYOB) and Kruang Tedd in Thai Town.

Guelelaguetza is a Oaxacan. There's one at 3337 1/2 W. 8th. You can eat crickets there and wash em down with Mexican cokes. A larger branch is at 3014 W. Olympic.

Chow.

it's Yuca’s on Hillcrest between Franklin and Los Feliz Blvd.

My friend did warn me though that while still good, it's not as good as it used to be. 

Are Tommy's really that bad?  I'll admit it's been a long time since I had one. . . .

Yuca's is still good.

Tommy's is THAT bad. Don't want to mess up a trip with Tommy's revenge.

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I will report in full when I get back Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck to pack! It's 38 here, 76 there, and my daughter says I have to bring "fall looking" lightweight clothes! Not an item in a Chicago closet! Fall means warm, light means summery.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I am excited to hear about Monkeymay's restaurant.  I would love to hear more!

I think Monkeymay's too busy getting ready for an early January opening and some sort of preopening bash in December to offer the details, but maybe we can pry some out of her.