• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acid in Risotto

begpie

I'm puzzled by your question. How far ahead of time are you making this risotto? If I have to hold risotto, I make it a little ahead of time before serving the meal, and cook it until it needs only one more ladleful of broth to finish. Then before service I reheat the risotto, add that broth, finish cooking it and serve it immediately. For the short time period that I hold the risotto (an hour? less?) I've never had a problem with the wine souring.

Did you cook off the alcohol in the wine before you removed it from the heat? I can't remember where I heard of it, but some restaurant chefs cook their risottos like djyee100 several days in advance, then refrigerate it until they need it. Then they finish cooking it when needed. I have tried that one full day ahead, and no problem, along with adding my wine during the first cooking.

Ray

We cook 2 boxes with 1/2 liter of wine and 1/2 liter of stock (both hot), shallots butter to start until it is quite dry. Then placed on rack to cool and dry further. It's good in a sealed container for 4 or so days. Still requires 15-20 minutes to finish.