• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dove recipes?

MPruett

I'm going dove hunting this coming weekend (9/11 - 9/13), and with any luck, I'll get a few.

I don't know how to cook a dove, nor do I really have an idea of what sorts of recipes would work! Any suggestions are welcome- I've never had dove before, so this will be a first.

Thanks,

Mark

This is a classic that works for any game bird, as well as chicken. The trick to dove is that it is easy to overcook. This recipe makes that harder to do.

Dress dove and remove breasts.

Take the seeds and pulp out of a jalapeno, and cut into thin strips.

Wrap a breast (with a little s&p) around the pepper strip, then wrap with a half piece of bacon secured with a toothpick.

Grill on medium heat till bacon is done.

Place a slice of fresh or whole milk motz on top and let melt.

I have seen many variations of this recipe using balsamic brushed on and even a sprinkle of ground espresso. You can make it your own.

Another way I like to cook game bird meat and rabbit is to oven poach the meat in olive oil with garlic and herbs, then serve with bitter greens (I like arugula) dressed with the oil and lemon juice.

All is all you can cook the breasts the same way you would cook a small piece of chicken breast. Just be sure to cook with some fat.

Check out Mary Land's Louisiana Cookery Search inside the book for "dove" around page 113 and you'll find quite a few recipes (dove sauce piquante, baked doves, doves in champagne, doves vin blanc, doves saute florentine, etc). Louisiana Cookery is an excellent source for all sorts of game recipes.

This is a classic that works for any game bird, as well as chicken. The trick to dove is that it is easy to overcook. This recipe makes that harder to do.

Dress dove and remove breasts.

Take the seeds and pulp out of a jalapeno, and cut into thin strips.

Wrap a breast (with a little s&p) around the pepper strip, then wrap with a half piece of bacon secured with a toothpick.

Grill on medium heat till bacon is done.

Place a slice of fresh or whole milk motz on top and let melt.

I have seen many variations of this recipe using balsamic brushed on and even a sprinkle of ground espresso. You can make it your own.

A big 'hell yes' to this, although I've only had it with the pepper and bacon. Cheese sounds interesting though.

Doves do not need to be dressed!

Simply put your thumb below the breast bone holding the neck and wings with your other hand an pull hard. The breast with some skin and feathers will pull right off. Simply remove the skin with feathers and the dove is cleaned. Pound the cleaned breast with a meat pounder lightly so the breast flattens and remove the breast cartiledge as in spathcocking. This makes the breast flat and makes for uniform cooking. We then season and simply grill to your desired doneness. Good hunting!-Dick

Slightly flatten and then salt, pepper and flour the breasts; brown in a mix of butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Add a mix of half-and-half wine and beef stock to half the thickness of the dove breasts; braise over medium low heat for 20-30 minutes.You can add a bit of rosemary to the flour if you wish; it plays well with the dove breasts.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com