• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle liquor stores?

I'm going to be in Seattle for a few days and would like to look for a few bottles that aren't available here. Can anyone recommend a liquor store whose selection you've been happy with? I won't have a ton of time to run around so a single place where I can find everything would be best. I'm staying at the W but will have access to a car.

a store with a searchable website would be awesome, but in lieu of that, just having a number I can call and check would be great.

I don't think the things I'm looking for are incredibly obscure, but they are unavailable here.

any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!

Endy,

I can recommend two places:

1. Esquin. Probably the most comprehensive wine store in the area, and they have a computerized inventory to aid your quest. It's also the easiest to find from downtown, on South 4th Ave, south of the stadiums. You can google or mapquest for details.

2. Peet's Deli, located on Lake Union. A little harder to find, but a very cool place, and the staff really know their stuff. A bit more eclectic, but good quality wines. You might also enjoy walking around the floating home neighborhood and enjoying the view and laid back atmosphere for an out of the way tourist experience. Mapquest is a must for finding this place.

3. Not in Seattle, but if you have hard to find wines, try K&L Wine Merchants by e-mail and mail order. I was able to find an obscure Spanish wine there after returning from Spain.

oops, I should have specified that I'm looking for liquors, not wines -- I don't know if this changes the recommendations? Right now there's a grappa, scotch, and a rum on the list but that may change. Wine proper won't be an issue. Thank you for the list though -- I'll check the web retailer now!

Here's your best bet: http://liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp

Once you find (if you find) what you're looking for, click on the "Find Store" button and it'll give you store addresses. It's a good idea to call the store if it looks like it'll sell out before you can get there.

Pray it isn't Sunday and it's before 5pm on a weekday, and maybe, just maybe you'll find what you're looking for, but don't bet on it.

My go to store was the University Village store. It was always stocked up due to the brisk business re: UW nearby, but don't expect to find anything especially special beyond specials, as in deals, on huge bottles of Jagermeister and cheap vodka and tequila.

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

no worries! Thanks all for the help. Actually, unified liquor retailers might actually be in my favour (oops, favor) in this case since at least I know what to expect and I can find out in advance what I do and don't have a chance of finding.

Where are you coming from? There is a huge difference actually in which liquor store you go to. What items are you looking for and when are you going? I need to go look for booze this week anyways so I may be able to meet you and show you a few different stores. There are three in close proximity in Seattle that are a cut above the rest, U-Village, 12th Ave on Capitol Hill, and the 4th ave store, but they just moved and may or may not have everything up yet.

Rocky

I'm coming from Toronto, but will be driving down to Seattle from Vancouver. I won't be coming for a few weeks yet, but thanks for the offer.

as of now (I need to confirm/vet this list in the meantime) I'm looking for the Glenmorangie 18, the El Dorado 21-year rum, and Marolo camomile grappa. Only the former was listed on the WA state liquor board's site. The others were all available on various online retailers, so I might look into having them pre-shipped to my hotel, depending on cost.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks everyone for the help. The rum actually became available in Ontario just before I left for Seattle, so I was able to pick that up at home. I called a few of the stores (and checked the Liquor Board website) and nobody carries the grappa. I was able to locate the Glenmorangie but decided against picking it up. Thanks however for all the help -- I think next time I will just have to have the foresight to order online and have it shipped to the hotel in advance :)