• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines Under $5...found anything drinkable?

Richard Kilgore

I have been surprised to find very drinkable bottles of wine at Sprouts Markets for as little as 3 for $10, with a 10% discount when you buy 6 bottles. These are South African and Australian wines. They are simple, not complex in any way, but tasty, everyday table wines.

Anyone else find bottles of beyond-inexpensive wine? Anything you can recommend?

I found a chilean merlot that actually had a nice peppery finish to it..

Central valley frontera, 2007

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 10 months later...

6 bottles of clean-skin South Australian Shiraz-Cabernet from Aldi for $9.99. Quite drinkable IMO. Have to wonder, what is going to happen to an industry with such an overabundance of riches.

But for now, I'm happy to gloat :biggrin:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I've found that California's Beringer wines, which fall into all price categories from very high to quite low, are good quality and really dependable on the low end and, thus, a nice idea for everyday table wine.

I often find them on sale for less than 5$.

Beringer seems to have choices for many price categories and varietals. I've really been pleased with them when budget is a concern.

I am a big fan of Vinho Verde. Around here bottles run about $5 to $7, which is not under $5, but in the area.

I agree. It's summer when I start buying cases of this. Bought a case at Binny's last weekend for $5.99/bottle. With the case discount it's pretty much $5/bottle.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

For everyday, we drink a lot of the Frontera wines from Concha y Toro in Chile. Their Sauv Blanc is very drinkable, and we've recently branched out to their reds-- nice Carmenere, Syrah and Malbec (grown in their Argentine vineyards.) We find these finds quite dependable, and usually pay around $8 for a magnum.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

I am a big fan of Vinho Verde. Around here bottles run about $5 to $7, which is not under $5, but in the area.

I agree. It's summer when I start buying cases of this. Bought a case at Binny's last weekend for $5.99/bottle. With the case discount it's pretty much $5/bottle.

Another fan of Vinho Verde in the summer. One of my friends refers to it as "daytime wine". I've been enjoying the $3.99 Vinho Verde they've been carrying at Trader Joe's.