• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lecithin-free chocolate chips?

Wholemeal Crank

If you can find chips that are kosher for Passover, they won't have soy in them (soy is not kosher for Passover). The brand I use is Oneg, but I'm sure there are many others.

you're going to have a hard time with this one - almost every company in the world uses lecithin & shared equipment. If you find chips that don't have lec labelled, i'd determine who the original mfr was and have a talk with them to see if it was made on shared equipment or not.

the good news is that lecithin is so processed that it doesn't really contain any soy protein - sort of like refined, bleached, deodorized soy oil. however, if you're concerned about it, i'd just steer clear....

Can't you just chop up pure chocolate into 1/4 inch chunks?

yes, although chocate 4 chips is designed to stand up to baking better and not melt into the batter. But since most chocolate has lecithin, as discussed above, 'pure' chocolate may not be too easy to come by.

Sweet Earth Organic Chocolate 65% bittersweet chips are lecithin-free (haven't tried them):

http://www.sweetearthchocolates.com/objects/34.itml/icOid/34

Just because it's not on the labell, doesn't mean it's not produced on equipment that deposits it. I'll bet you a dollar (or better yet, a plate of cookies) that they're made by ADM, Blommer, Cargill, or Callebaut, in which case, they'll hve lecithin in them regardless of what's on the label statement. Depositors are very expensive....

As it turns out, the person who asked me this question says that it is not a question of anaphylaxis, but gut upset, and that the level of contamination produced by shared equipment lines, as long as they're not deliberately adding more soy lecithin to that particular batch of chocolate, should not be too much of a risk.