• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange-Infused Creme Caramele

sazji

Orange-Infused Creme Caramele

Serves 6 as Dessert.

This is fairly light compared to some versions of creme caremele made with large proportions of cream, but what makes it stand out is the fresh orange flavor. You could do the same on a heaver version of course. When I first tried it, I left the normal vanilla out but later reintroduced it in a reduced amount; it compliments the orange nicely.

Ingredients

• 1/2 c granulated sugar (for the caramel)
  • 3/4 c heavy cream
  • 2-1/2 c Whole Milk
  • 4 eggs, whole
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 c sugar, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • peel of one orange

Preheat oven to 325 F. Place a pan of water into the oven that is 2 inches wider than the baking dish you are using. Avoid using too wide a water pan; it traps heat and the water may start boiling and this will make your creme boil as well, curdling it and ruining the texture. Place a folded tea towel in the water to keep the bottom of the dish from contacting the bottom of the water pan.

First, heat the 1/2 c sugar in a heavy pan over medium heat; when it begins to melt reduce heat and keep heating, stirring carefully, until it reaches a medium brown. Some add a bit of water but I find it unnecessary; when it evaporates the sugar hardens up and then has to melt dry anyway.

When the sugar reaches the desired darkness, pour into the bottom of a glass baking dish.

Mix the cream, milk, eggs, yolks, sugar and vanilla, blend well. The orange can be added in two ways:

1) Easiest: Carefully peel the orange cutting the peel into four sections and remove without bending too much. Then hold the peel over the mixture and squeeze the peel double, squeezing the orange oil directly into the mixture. (Think of the orange-oil-into-the-candle trick...) Work down the peel, bending and squeezing. It's a matter of taste as well as the quality of the orange; if the peel is thick and hard, half the peel might be enough. Later in the season you might have to use the whole thing.

2) Late in the season the oranges are very ripe and the peels are soft, the first method doesn't work. In this case I grate the zest off of one or two pieces of peel, mix it with one cup of the pudding mixture, the strain it back in. Either way, the object is to get the orange flavor without bits of zest that will spoil the smooth texture of the dessert.

Pour the mixture into the baking dish and place in the water bath in the oven. Cooking time will vary according to the depth of the pan; remove as soon as set and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before serving. If you have used a shallow dish you can cut around the edge and invert it onto a serving plate. Individual custard cups may be used as well. I like to garnish it with a few curls of orange zest.

Keywords: Dessert, Vegetarian, Easy, Pudding

( RG2160 )

• Like 1

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria