• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fried Kimchee

Richie111

Deep Fried Kimchee

Basically a deep fried pickle with an exotic twist. The preparation of the dish greatly reduces the pungency of the kimchee making it a tasty way to introduce this Korean staple to reluctant adults or children alike. Easy to make by following the directions below, or check out the video <a href="

To Deep Fry Kimchee</a>

<br>

• 1 qt peanut oil*
  • 2 c kimchee (most common variety - spicy<i> baechu</i>, or Napa cabbage)
  • 1/2 c all-purpose flour (for <i>pre- egg wash</i>)

Egg Wash

• 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1/4 c buttermilk
  • 1/4 c kimchee juice**
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper

Breading Mixture

• 1/2 c seasoned bread crumbs***
  • 1/4 c corn meal
  • 1/4 c all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper
  • 1 tsp Korean red pepper

Kimchee Ranch Dressing

• 3/4 c Ranch dressing
  • 3 T kimchee juice
  • 1 tsp Korean red pepper

* Can substitute Canola or other oil. Amount may vary depending upon size of pot used.

**Kimchee juice is the excess liquid in the kimchee jar

***Seasoned Bread Crumbs - Use store bought or make from scratch by blending following ingredients until fine: 4 ounces Italian bread, cubed and baked at 400°F for 12 minutes, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp dried parsley flakes, 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese.

<br>

1. Heat oil to 375°F in pot or deepfryer

2. Remove thin, leafy green parts of kimchee and cut firmer white portions into approximately 1 inch squares

3. Combine 3 tbsp kimchee juice and Korean red pepper with Ranch Dressing. Refrigerate.

4. Beat eggs and combine ingredients for <i>Egg Wash</i> in bowl

5. Combine ingredients for <i>Breading Mixture</i> in bowl.

6. Bread each kimchee square:

<p style=" text-indent:15px; ">a. first coat in <i>pre- egg wash</i> flour</p>

<p style=" text-indent:15px; ">b. dip in <i>Egg Wash</i></p>

<p style=" text-indent:15px; ">c. coat with <i>Breading Mixture</i> thoroughly</p>

<p style=" text-indent:15px; ">d. set aside each breaded kimchee square on a wax paper covered dish

7. Carefully add kimchee squares to hot oil in batches of 4-6 pieces.

8. Remove when golden brown - approximately 25-35 seconds. Place on paper towel lined plate. Lightly season with a touch of salt.

9. Allow to cool approximately one minute.

10. Garnish with Korean red pepper and serve with Kimchee Ranch Dressing

Keywords: Appetizer, Vegetables, Korean, American, Vegetarian, Deep Fryer, Easy

( RG2155 )