• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ANDIE'S ABSOLUTELY ADDICTING BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES

andiesenji

ANDIE'S ABSOLUTELY ADDICTING BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES

Here’s the thing about pickles: if you’ve never made them, they may seem to be an overwhelming (and possibly mysterious) project. Our listener Andie – who has offered some really valuable help to the show several times in the past – has sent this recipe which provides an opportunity to “try your hand” at pickle-making without much effort. Andie suggests that making a small batch, and storing the pickles in the refrigerator (without “processing”) can get you started painlessly. Our Producer Lisa says that the result is so delicious that you won’t be able to keep these pickles on hand - even for the 3-4 months that they’ll safely keep!

The basics are slicing the cucumbers and other veggies, tossing them with salt and crushed ice and allowing them to stand for awhile to become extra-crisp. You then make a simple, sweet and spicy syrup, (Andie does this in the microwave), rinse your crisp veggies, put them in a jar, pour the syrup over, and keep them in the refrigerator until they’re “pickled” – turning the jar upside down each day. In about 2 weeks you’ll have pickles – now how much easier could that be? If you are inspired, I hope you’ll try these – and enjoy!

MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART.

FOR THE PICKLES:

4 to 6 pickling cucumbers (cucumbers should be not much larger than 1 inch in diameter, and

4 to 5 inches long)

1/2 to 3/4 of one, medium size onion.

1/2 red bell pepper.

1/4 cup, pickling salt (coarse kosher salt)

2 quarts, cracked ice

water to cover

2 tablespoons, mustard seed.

1 heaping teaspoon, celery seed

FOR THE SYRUP:

1 1/2 cups, vinegar

*NOTE: Use cider or distilled white vinegar, do not use wine vinegar.

1 1/2 cups, sugar

2 heaping teaspoons, pickling spice mix.

PREPARE THE PICKLES:

Carefully wash the cucumbers and bell pepper. Slice all vegetables very thin, using a food processor with a narrow slicing blade, or by hand, or using a V-slicer or mandoline. Toss the sliced vegetables together in a glass or crockery bowl large enough to hold twice the volume of the vegetables. Sprinkle the salt over the vegetables, add the cracked ice, toss again to blend all ingredients and add water to just barely cover the vegetables. Place a heavy plate on top of the vegetables to keep them below the top of the liquid.

*Set aside for 4 hours.

PREPARE THE SYRUP:

Place the vinegar, sugar and pickling spices in a 4-quart Pyrex or other microwavable container (the large Pyrex measure works very well)

Microwave on high for 15 to 20 minutes. [if a microwave is not available, simmer the syrup in a narrow saucepan on the stovetop, over low heat, for the same length of time.] Allow the syrup to cool. Strain the syrup and discard the spices.

ASSEMBLE THE PICKLES:

Place one wide-mouth quart canning jar (or two wide-mouth pint jars) with their lids in a pot of water to cover, place over medium heat and bring the water to a simmer (180 degrees). Remove the pot from the heat and allow jar(s) and lid(s) to remain in the hot water until needed.

*After the 4 hours are up (crisping the vegetables as described above) pour the vegetables into a large colander and rinse well. The cucumber slices should taste only slightly salty. Return the rinsed vegetables to the bowl, add the mustard seeds and celery seeds and toss well until evenly distributed. Set aside.

Return the syrup to the microwave, microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes [or heat the syrup on the stovetop] until an instant read thermometer shows the temperature of the syrup is 190 to 200 degrees.

Place the vegetables into one wide-mouth quart jar, or in 2 wide-mouth pint

jars that have been scalded as described above. Pour the syrup over the vegetables, place the lids on the jar or jars, tighten well and place in the refrigerator overnight.

The following day, turn the jar upside down - then continue to turn every day for 2 weeks. (This is to insure that the pickles are evenly flavored)

After 2 weeks open the jar and taste. The pickles should be ready to eat.

Pickles will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 months.

( RG2154 )

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Makes 12 muffins that can be served either savory or sweet.

See also cornmeal biscuits recipe.

175g cornmeal
      20g butter
      135g AP flour
      2.5 tsp baking powder
      1/4 tsp baking soda
      2 tsp salt
      200ml sour cream
      35g sugar
      1 large egg
      90ml whole fat milk
      apx 250g corn kernels - fresh is best, I sometimes used kernels from grilled corn. Frozen and even canned corn also works great.
      Optional addition:
      - Up to 1/2 tsp black pepper (I never skip the pepper)
      - Chopped chilies of any kind
      - Chopped scallions
      - Chopped cheddar cheese
      - Chopped feta (reduce salt from the muffins)
      - I guess chopped bacon will be really good

- Brush a muffin tin tray with butter, or if you have one, use a silicon muffin tray.
      - Preheat an oven to 220dC.
      - Mix flours, baking powder, soda, salt.
      - Melt the butter, I suggest doing so in a large bowl or pot to which the remaining ingredients can be later added.
      - Mix in the sour cream, egg, sugar, milk, corn kernels and any other optional addition.
      - Mix dry ingredients into wet ones just until uniform. Avoid over mixing.
      - Divide batter among 12 muffin cups.
      - Bake for 15 minutes until set and golden.
      - Let cool for at least 5 minutes and release from tray.
      - For serving: bake again, preferably with convection fan, until deep gold and crisp. Apx 5-10 minutes.
      - Can be served savory with sour cream, cheese or butter; or sweet with butter or sour cream and honey.
      - Leftovers / planned-overs can be frozen, preferably after the first bake.

• By shain
      Makes 9 - Can be doubled.
      Can be made a short time ahead and reheated and crisped for serving. Can also be frozen.

For variation, replace the spices and chilies with 1 tbsp chopped rosemary, and the cheddar with kashkaval / provolone / etc.

See also cornmeal muffins recipe.

- 200ml sour cream, apx 20% fat
      - 60g good Cheddar cheese, grated
      - 2 jalapenos (or other chilies), deseeded and chopped. You can also char them first like when making salsa
      - 1 small spring onion, sliced finely
      ~~
      - 50g cornmeal
      - 140g white flour, pastry flour if available
      - 1 tsp toasted coriander seeds, ground
      - 1/2 tsp toasted cumin, ground
      - Pepper
      - Optional: large pinch MSG
      - 2 tsp sugar
      - 1 tsp salt
      - 3 tsp baking powder
      - 1/4 tsp baking soda

- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
      - Mix remaining ingredients in a second bowl.
      - Dust your working surface.
      - Heat oven to 230 degrees C.
      - Fold wet mixture into dry one into the dry one, pressing and folding bottom up just until it forms a few crumbly dough chunks with some dry flour at the bottom.
      - Remove the mixture onto the dusted working surface.
      - Dust from above.
      - Press together to form a rough rectangle shape.
      - Fold the dough in half on top of itself.
      - Dust and press to flatten into a rough square shape, apx 3 cm (a bit more than an inch) tall.
      - Cut into 9 pieces (3 by 3 grid). Use a bench scraper or a large knife.
      - Place spaced on a baking try with parchment paper.
      - Bake for 13-16 minutes until lightly browned and baked through.
      - Remove from the try and cool on a baking try. 
      - You can serve it immediately, but I much prefer to let it chill for 10 minutes and then bake 5 minutes more until brown and crisp.

• By shain
      Wet mix:
      100g soft butter 280g sugar 2 eggs 250ml cream, full fat 200ml sour cream 60ml milk or coffee or a mixture of the two 1/4 tsp salt Dry mix:
      75g good quality cocoa powder 170g flour 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda Prep:
      Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. In a large bowl, whip butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs and whip until smooth. Add in the two creams, milk or coffee, salt. Mix well. Sieve in the flour mixture while gently folding. Pour into a pan, 22-24 cm in diameter. Bake in a preheated oven at 170dC for apx 45-60 minutes. The cake is ready when a skewer leaves with a few moist crumbs. Do not over bake!  
      This cake is very good served warm with ice cream, at room temp, or cold where it becomes fudgey.
      You can top it with a ganache or whatever you fancy.

• By Tropicalsenior
      My family loves lasagna but I get tired of making it and sometimes I just don't have any lasagna noodles in the pantry. I make a killer pastitsio and I tried spaghetti pie. But to be truthful, we'd rather just have the spaghetti. So when I came across this recipe the other day, I thought it would be worth trying and it was good. Good enough to share.

Beef Vermicelli Cake 
      serves: 4 to 6

3 1/4 oz salted butter
      1 onion, chopped
      1 lb 2 oz ground beef
      28 fl oz bottled pasta sauce
      2 tablespoons tomato paste
      9 oz vermicelli
      1/4 cup all-purpose flour
      1 1/4 cups milk
      1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9 inch round deep spring-form cake pan. Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a large deep frying pan and cook the onion over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft. Add the beef, breaking up any lumps with the back of a spoon, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in the pasta sauce and tomato paste, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Season well.

Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, or until pale and foaming. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to the heat and stir constantly until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Spread half the pasta over the base of the pan , then cover with half the meat sauce. Cover with the remaining pasta, pressing down with the palm of your hand. Spoon on the remaining meat sauce and then pour on the white sauce. Sprinkle the cheese on the top and cook for 20 minutes. Leave to stand for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Cut into wedges to serve.

Quick Pasta Sauce (double the recipe)
      8 oz ground beef
      1/2 small onion, diced
      1 garlic clove, minced
      14 oz canned diced tomatoes      
      1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
      1/2 teaspoon dried basil
      1 1/2 tablespoons dry vermouth or red wine 
      Salt and pepper to taste  

Combine ground beef, onion, and garlic in a skillet and saute until no longer pink. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat until most of the moisture has evaporated. At this point, season with salt and pepper to taste.  

Since my family loves cheddar cheese I made it just as is and it was a big hit, however I think that I will try it the next time with mozzarella and Parmesan.
      If you don't have a springform pan, I don't see any reason at all that this can't be made in a casserole dish and served like lasagna.

• By SobaAddict70
      I LOVE pickled ginger. In fact, in some instances, moreso than sushi or sashimi itself. When I was first introduced to sushi, it was my least favorite part of a sushi meal. Now it's the opposite.
      Besides sushi/sashimi, what other uses for pickled ginger are there? And how do you make your own? What goes in the pickling solution? Fresh pickled ginger (not premade) is undyed and a pale beige in color, whereas the premade version is a slight tawny pink.
      Any suggestions?
      Soba