• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poblano Crème Soup

chezcherie

Poblano Crème Soup

I don't even roast the poblanos, although doing so would deepen the flavor. You can substitute chicken stock for the vegetable stock.

• 1 T butter
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 4 c vegetable stock
  • 1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 c crema or crème fraiche
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • shredded cheese for garnish, optional

In a large saucepan, heat the butter and olive oil, and saute the Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan. Saute the onion in the butter/oil mixture until fragrant and starting to soften, 3-4 minutes. Add the gailic, and saute 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the chopped poblanos, and carrot, and saute 3-4 minutes, until softened. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add potato cubes and reduce heat to a simmer. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. (If using a food processor, strain the soup, reserving both the liquid and solids. Place the solids in the food processor, with just enough liquid to puree them. Return the solids to the pan, and add the remaining liquid.). Add the crema or crème fraiche and adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with shredded cheese, if desired.

Keywords: Soup

( RG2153 )

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook