• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"OLD JAMAICA RUM"

JOHN REEKIE

Recently this rum had arrived on the shelves (or should I say on a shelf) at the Ontario Licquor Control Board - Vintages Store(the Main retail store in Ontario). It has very little information and before I buy it I would like to find what ever I can about it.

The Lable reads as follows. "OLD JAMAICA RUM" - The secret treasures of the Caribbean This rum was originaly distilled at LONG POND DISTILLERY 1986/Bottled 2000 (thats 14 years). 70cl. 40%vol. Cost $69.00 canadian. The bottle is a regular clear bottle, not specialy designed. -- The back lable has a bar code and some advertising lingo in french and in German!. but no disctiption of the rum or its production. What is confusing is it says imported by S.FASSBIND.S.A. Which to me is South Africa?. The LCBO so far has not been able to give me any more information ..

Looking for information. John Reekie.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear John,

please have a look at www.fassbind.ch

You can ask for Mr. Erwin Grütter he knows all about this

This is a swiss company and bottle their own rums,

Trust to have helped you out.

Regards,

Ed Melief

• 1 month later...

"The Secret Treasures Of The Caribbean" rums come from Switzerland.

..... Nobody had much of an answer, but Ed Melief suggestion of www.fassbind.ch lead me on a wonderfull trail. After a few weeks of emails with question and answers flashing back and forth, I have built up a picture or some very appealing rums.

I do not have time at this moment to write in full of what I have found out. but the basic is that these are Artisan Rums from Long Pond Distillery Jamaica, Enmore Distillery Guyana, Carioni Distillery Trinidad, WIRR Distillery Barbados. Aged/Matured in cognac oak casks in the location of the Distillery then shipped, in the oak casks, to Switzerland. Bulk blended,(with its own lot only) with no further finishing or marrage. Then diluted with Swiss spring water to bring them to bottling strength, prior to bottling in Switzerland then exported.

FASSBIND Switzerland is a very large company producing/distilling a great number of Eau De Vies and grappa and various other liquors,and have now added rums to their range..

The Trinidad rum was distilled in 1991.The Barbados and The Jamaican was distilled in 1986. The Demerara Rum was distilled in 1980. all just recently bottled in 2002.

These rums fall into the catagory of rums like "Plantation Rums"and "Kanishe rhums"(France), "Bristol Spirits Rums"(England) and in some ways like "Cadenhead" (Scotland) although these are aged/matured in Scotland not the Caribbean.

For some information on "The Secret Treasures of The Caribbean Rums" look up:

www.fassbind.ch and www.g-club.ch/shop

We only had The Old Barbados and The Old Jamaica in Ontario and they have sold out very quickly . I managed to buy three Barbados and two Jamaican, also had informed a few other people to these select rums,which has led to being sold out.

I wish to thank the people at Fassbind for being very forward with the answers to my questions. As it would be wonderfull to be able to aquire information from other producers about their products, in such an open and honest way.

That is all I have at the moment.

Its back to rumsearching. John Reekie.

• 3 weeks later...