• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Springtime vegetables risotto

PaoloF

Springtime vegetables risotto

Serves 6 as Main Dish.

Last year I've written(together with my two friends Mrs.Toni Hilton and Mr. Leonardo Tessiore) a bilingual cookbook whose title is "Monferratomio!".

It is dedicated to the old-fashioned cookery of my countryland, the little Val Rilate Community, situated in the bigger Monferrato's wine-district area.

We gathered more than 50 traditional recipes from old cooks or professional restaurateurs: try this risotto, a dish that -in my opinion- pairs very well as main course in a sunny, bright, windy, springlike Sunday like this! Match with a young, pétillant Barbera.

• 500 g Rice for risotto
  • 1 Onion, minced
  • 1 Carrot, chopped
  • 3 Artichokes
  • 200 g Green peas, fresh
  • 500 g Asparagus
  • 400 g Zucchini, cubed
  • 1 l Veal broth
  • 100 g Butter (for whisking)
  • 100 g Parmigiano, grated (for whisking)
  • 10 Fresh basil leaves

-Melt some butter in a pot over a low flame; add the onion,minced, and cook for a few minutes

-Add the carrot, chopped; the artichokes, cleaned and sliced; the green peas, shelled

-When the vegetables are to a golden brown, add the rice

-Pour the broth, one ladleful at a time, and stir, allowing the rice to absorb the liquid slowly, until nearly tender

-By the middle of the cooking-time, add the remaining vegetables: the asparagus (cutting out the points, to be added at last to garnish) and the cubed zucchini

-A couple of minutes before serving, take your pot out of the heat

-Add the butter and the grated Parmigiano for whisking

-Cover with a lid and let the risotto "rest" for 2-3 minutes

-Stir carefully before serving in single plates (preferably shallow)

-Garnish with the asparagus points and some fresh basil leaves

Keywords: Main Dish, Intermediate

( RG2112 )

"Mi dispiace - esclamò un Italiano - che non sia peccato bere l'acqua: come sarebbe gustoso!" - "It's a shame -said an Italian- that drinking water isn't a sin: such a delight it should be!"

(G.C. Lichtenberg)

www.buongustotours.com