• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

nj cheese shops

Kim WB

I went to Maywood Marketplace today to check it out. A nice market with better than average looking produce, a nice bread selection, a good looking deli counter with some interesting takeout. They had a large selection of olives and cheeses. Everything is at very resonable prices. There's one but, all the cheeses are prepacked like a supermarket. :sad: There is a good looking bakery across the street and some other worthwhile shops on the block. From Essex St east; left on Maywood Ave Then left on Pleasant (bout a half mile). The store is on the left 2 blocks down. I don't know that I'd make a special trip unless I was close by.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I went to Maywood Marketplace today to check it out. A nice market with better than average looking produce, a nice bread selection, a good looking deli counter with some interesting takeout. They had a large selection of olives and cheeses. Everything is at very resonable prices. There's one but, all the cheeses are prepacked like a supermarket. :sad: There is a good looking bakery across the street and some other worthwhile shops on the block. From Essex St east; left on Maywood Ave Then left on Pleasant (bout a half mile). The store is on the left 2 blocks down. I don't know that I'd make a special trip unless I was close by.

Hey double00,

Do you mean to say that the cheeses are portioned and plasticized?

Nick

There's one but, all the cheeses are prepacked like a supermarket. :sad:

Thanks for the report, Dbl. That's not quite what I'm looking for..so you saved me the trip! I like to taste and converse and buy small wedges of lots of types.

There's one but, all the cheeses are prepacked like a supermarket.

I have to respectfully disagree, here. Yes, the cheeses are wrapped in plastic; but this is the ONLY thing they have in common with a supermarket-- the cheeses are unusual, and sometimes even exotic-- the prices are low-- the variety is extensive. And on Saturdays, they have almost a dozen types out with samples to taste. Possibly I would not drive across the state for this place, but it is definitely worth a trip from anywhere in Bergen or Essex counties!

N.B. They also have a deli counter with endless choices of prepared hot dishes!!

I have to respectfully disagree, here.  Yes, the cheeses are wrapped in plastic; but this is the ONLY thing they have in common with a supermarket-- the cheeses are unusual, and sometimes even exotic-- the prices are low-- the variety is extensive.

Hey, respectfully disagreeing? Are you sure you are on the right board?

Anyway, I'm sure their quality is great, I just meant that I was looking for a more "intimate" cheese expereience, an opportunity to talk with the owner or such as they slice me a fresh wedge, etc. There are stores closer in my area that are similiar to this one, and I certainly go to and buy from them all the time..I was just looking for something different. And nothing beats a good deli counter! Enjoy!

Menton, I thought I gave a good review of the store. I have two problems with prepackaged cheese. The first is that unless the cheese has been vacuum sealed and there is a fast turnover you never know what the quality is. The second is I like to be able to select the amount that I want to buy, especially if its a cheese with a short half life. Again if in the area I would go , but from where I work or live there are good alternatives closer that meet my needs better. ST

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Menton, I thought I gave a good review of the store.

2 x 0, your review was on the money. They do seem to turn over the cheese here, because every week they have new choices. Alas, I have settled for places like this because we do not live in France, where "fromageries" proliferate, and here a cheese store is a novelty. Anyone up for renting a chateau for a few weeks?

Menton, I thought I gave a good review of the store.

2 x 0, your review was on the money. They do seem to turn over the cheese here, because every week they have new choices. Alas, I have settled for places like this because we do not live in France, where "fromageries" proliferate, and here a cheese store is a novelty. Anyone up for renting a chateau for a few weeks?

How close is your nearest WEgman's? The Princeton shop will cut any of their extensive variety fresh, but there is not that intimate environment to talk with the purveyor. Though there is one cheese employee, very striking redhead, who loves the stuff and chats it up a bit, but she's rarely there.

marianna's in metuchen is also trying very hard to improve their cheese selection, for which i think they are to be commended and encouraged.

What kind of place is Marianna's? Retail gourmet? Deli?

It's nearby, might be worth a visit.

not that i want it any more crowded than it already is, but...

mrs. tommy tells the that the cheese shop of ridgewood is quite good.  a huge selection, any of which you are more than welcome to sample.

a list of cheeses is here on their website

This looks like just what I was looking for. Although I doubt Mrs. Tommy's taste for apparent reasons, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: it certainly seems worth a trip.

coquille,

thanks for the info, I'm going to try Royal Thai and this place!

Welcome to e-gullet.

I assume you are in a more central part of the state..do you have other favorite places?