• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

nj cheese shops

Kim WB

Hi, the NY thread about cheese shops inspired me to diversify my own cheese shopping habits.

Currently, I go to the Trenton Farmer's market for imported Italian cheeses, including the best Fontina and a very sharp, aged Parmesan. Everything is cut fresh from the wheel, you need to sometimes wait a while, but its worth it. The cheese man is chatty, and always encourages a taste of something new..which I invariably buy!

Then, for a greater variety, ( all located in Princeton) I go to Wegman's, great goat and sheep selection, and McCaffrey's ( better cheddar selection, my husband's favorite). There is a small shop, Bon Appetit, which has a great selection, but I have not been impressed by its freshness. Good Mozzarella, though.

I'd travel for cheese..what's your favorite? Pls. include the town its located in. Thanks.

I haven't been in a long time, so I can't vouch for recent quality, but I used to get very good products at the Summit Cheese Gourmet on Union Pl in Summit.

I used to enjoy the Summit Cheese shop immensely, when I took the train. Haven't been there in 3 years, though.

Gary's Wines in Madison has a good selection of imported and artisan (Tewksbury Cheesemaker, etc). I understand the Bernardsville store has a better selection, but I can't vouch for that.

I've been very pleased with Esposito's in East Hanover (previously discussed here). Wide variety of Italian, US, French, and Argentine cheese on the wheels. Good prices. If I get over there tonight, I'll draw up a list.

Artisan in Chester is said to be good for cheese and bread, I believe the same folks who own Pierre's own Artisan

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

The definitive place for cheese in NJ has to be Maywood Marketplace in downtown Maywood. Huge variety of interesting cheeses. Choice varies every week. Prices are outstanding-- half that of the cheese shops. Sometimes a designer cheese here and there as well. Last week I got the Holland Goat cheese Gouda for $3.99/lb. Many other imports, from France, Spain and Britain. Don't miss this place for cheese in NJ!!

Two places that aren't specifically cheese shops are Jerry's on Dean St in Englewood and Carrados on Main St in Clifton. Jerry's has a good selection with a small selection of artisinal cheeses from Italy and the US. The nice thing about Jerrys is the prices. Very inexpensive compared to many other places. Carrados is also very inexpensive, but nothing out of the ordinary. Both places hace a good selection of bread and crackers to go with the cheese.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

The definitive place for cheese in NJ has to be Maywood Marketplace in downtown Maywood.  Huge variety of interesting cheeses.  Choice varies every week.  Prices are outstanding-- half that of the cheese shops.  Sometimes a designer cheese here and there as well.  Last week I got the Holland Goat cheese Gouda for $3.99/lb.  Many other imports, from France, Spain and Britain.  Don't miss this place for cheese in NJ!!

Ditto!

Regarding a previous post about Bon Appetite in Princeton (in the shopping center on Harrison Street). They have a huge selection. I bought three cheeses recently. One was great, one was rancid and the third as so slimey on one side that I wouldn't dare put it in my mouth. (yet a store employee sliced it and rewrapped it...yuck!). They would do better to limit the selection to ensure a fresher product.

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

The definitive place for cheese in NJ has to be Maywood Marketplace in downtown Maywood.  Huge variety of interesting cheeses.  Choice varies every week.  Prices are outstanding-- half that of the cheese shops.  Sometimes a designer cheese here and there as well.  Last week I got the Holland Goat cheese Gouda for $3.99/lb.  Many other imports, from France, Spain and Britain.  Don't miss this place for cheese in NJ!!

Ditto!

Let's not start this again! As Tommy pointed out last time, you've got to log in with your other name FIRST and THEN agree with yourself. :hmmm:

The definitive place for cheese in NJ has to be Maywood Marketplace in downtown Maywood.  Huge variety of interesting cheeses.  Choice varies every week.  Prices are outstanding-- half that of the cheese shops.  Sometimes a designer cheese here and there as well.  Last week I got the Holland Goat cheese Gouda for $3.99/lb.  Many other imports, from France, Spain and Britain.  Don't miss this place for cheese in NJ!!

Ditto!

Let's not start this again! As Tommy pointed out last time, you've got to log in with your other name FIRST and THEN agree with yourself. :hmmm:

Yeah, I second what 201 said! :wink:

The definitive place for cheese in NJ has to be Maywood Marketplace in downtown Maywood.  Huge variety of interesting cheeses.  Choice varies every week.  Prices are outstanding-- half that of the cheese shops.  Sometimes a designer cheese here and there as well.  Last week I got the Holland Goat cheese Gouda for $3.99/lb.  Many other imports, from France, Spain and Britain.  Don't miss this place for cheese in NJ!!

Sounds great..what county is Maywood in? What larger town is it near. to give me an idea of location? Thanks.

..what county is Maywood in? What larger town is it near. to give me an idea of location? Thanks.

Maywood is in Bergen County, probably not far from the malls in Paramus.

I'll leave it to the local experts to provide specifics - after all, we don't take trips to Bergen County, we have "adventures." :rolleyes: