• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scalloped Tomatoes

Kim Shook

Scalloped Tomatoes

Serves 6 as Side.

This recipe is from the Word's Worth Eating cookbook – a publication from Ukrops, a local and loved family supermarket in Richmond, VA. Mine is fundamentally the same, except that I have increased some amounts and expanded the directions a little bit – theirs are kind of abrupt and when I’ve given out the recipe before, I’ve noticed a lot of questions.

These are the tomatoes that have changed many confirmed stewed tomato haters into confirmed scalloped tomato lovers. But be forewarned, they are Southern-style sweet vegetables. They remind you that, after all, tomatoes are fruits!

• 28 oz canned tomato wedges or small whole tomatoes cut into wedges
  • 1/3 c sugar
  • 1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
  • 1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp dried basil - fresh would work, too ;-)
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 c soft bread cubes
  • 1/4 c soft bread crumbs
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 pieces of toast, crusts trimmed and cut into triangles
  • 2 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10"x6" glass/ceramic baking dish.

Melt the butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Set aside.

Drain the tomatoes slightly – you want some of the juice in there, but not all. Mix the tomato wedges, both sugars, pepper, salt, and basil. Toss with the bread cubes and pour into the prepared dish. Top with the buttered breadcrumbs. Cook for 35 minutes.

Top with the toast points and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake an additional 15 minutes.

Keywords: Side, Vegetarian, Easy, Vegetables

( RG2086 )