• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Triple Ginger Ice Cream

FoodMan

Triple Ginger Ice Cream

Serves 10 as Dessert.

This is the best ginger ice cream I have made so far. I made it specifically to go with my fruit cake, but it is excellent on its own or sandwiched between Amaretti cookies. It is full of ginger aroma, flavor and hint of spiciness.

• 2 c Whole Milk
  • 2 c Heavy Cream
  • 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
  • 3 strips of Dried or Fresh Orange zest
  • 8 Egg Yolks
  • 9 oz Sugar
  • 2 tsp Dried Ground Ginger
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 T Chopped Crystallized Ginger

- In a sauce pan heat the milk, cream ginger and zest until it barely gets to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let it sit covered for 30 minutes.

- Strain the mixture through a sieve into another pot and bring up to a simmer again.

- In the meantime whisk the egg yolks, sugar and ground ginger together in a bowl. Slowly temper with the hot milk mixture and pour the mix back into the pot on gentle heat. Keep stirring until it thickens to coat the back of a spoon, but DO NOT let it boil. It should take maybe 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

- Pour the custard through a sieve again into a pitcher or bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

- Churn in an ice cream maker and add the chopped crystallized ginger during the last 30 seconds of churning. Enjoy!

Keywords: Dessert, Intermediate, Ice Cream

( RG2079 )

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog