• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Christmas" Stacked Red and Green Chili/Chicken Enchiladas

hummingbirdkiss

"Christmas" Stacked Red and Green Chile/Chicken Enchiladas

This is the recipe my kids/coworkers/friends all demand around the holidays and is the single most requested recipe I make ..you can vary the ingredients and tweek this anyway you want to...but this is the basic so enjoy!

"Christmas" Enchiladas

roast a big chicken (or two small ones) and then bone it/them out and chop the meat up set aside

large package of corn tortillas fried briefly in hot oil until soft and a little crispy set aside

lots and lots of grated cheese of your choice (I use at least two lbs in this recipe) ...for me jack/mozzarella mixed but you can use whatever you like

for the red side

chile Colorado

3 tbl lard or olive oil

3 tbl flour

1/3 up good NM ground red chile (heat as desired)

3 cloves of garlic

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp cumin

2 cups water

1 cup red wine

3 Knorr chicken cubes (Mexican style)

I mix all the spice and flour together then heat a pot and put the lard in ..then add the mixed spices and garlic and kind of stir it around to make a toasted paste

then add the water and wine bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 15 min stirring well

for the green side

Green chile sauce

3 tble lard or olive oil

3 tble flour

3 cups chopped roasted peeled green chiles

6 tomatillos roasted and chopped

3 cloves of minced garlic

2 cups water mixed with 2 cubes of Knorr chicken

1 tsp cumin

heat the sauce pan put the lard or oil in and then add the garlic and cumin and saute around a bit then add the chiles, water and cubes ..bring to a hard boil then simmer 15 min ..set aside

in a large baking pan line the bottom with tortillas then add a layer of chicken a layer of cheese then on one side of the pain add a layer of the red sauce and on the other a layer of the green sauce...another layer of tortillas, chicken, cheese and sauce until you top with tortillas ..cheese and any remaining sauce

they are better if assembled on one day and baked the next ..I always make and freeze an extra pan ...

bake until done ..hot bubbly ...about 350 for 90 min let sit for at least 15 min before cutting and then just cut it up like lasagna

traditionally we eat left over enchiladas with a fried egg on top the next morning

( RG2017 )

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet