• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anchovies

snowangel

I like to mix salted anchovies with softened butter and maybe some fresh herbs. Fresh oregano is especially good. Then chill in the refrigerator until really hard. Cut a nice thick slab of the cold anchovy butter and put it on a grilled steak. Delicious.

Before using them, I suggest soaking the anchovies in milk for about 10 mins, then rinsing and drying them. Sometimes the oil packed with anchovies has a fishy off-flavor that gives anchovies their bad reputation. Soaking them in milk shd get rid of the fishiness. Some people don't like the milk soak, though. They want anchovies to taste fishy and salty.

Remember that Worcestershire sauce is mostly anchovy. You could mash up a few filets and substitute them in a recipe where a dash of Worcestershire sauce would add flavor. I used to cook a lamb cacciatore recipe that called for anchovies (6 anchovy filets for 3 lbs of lamb). You didn't taste the anchovy (you shouldn't taste it distinctly), but the anchovies bumped up the savoriness of the dish.

Also, since anchovies are basically fermented fish flavor, you could use it as a rough substitute for fish sauce in an Asian dish.

Any other pasta dishes that you like with anchovy? Pasta with cauliflower and pasta puttanesca come to mind. I like this recipe for pasta with cauliflower from Vincent Schiavelli's Papa Andrea's Sicilian Table. But don't use a whole can of anchovies, as the recipe calls for! That's too much. Maybe 1/2 can, if you really like anchovies. On Googlebooks, Page 42:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Zt24M3F5PH0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=vincent+schiavelli&cd=3#v=onepage&q=cauliflower&f=false

BTW, Schiavelli's cookbook has a wonderful introduction about his grandfather, who inspired this cookbook. The intro starts on Page 13, also available for reading on Googlebooks.

Excellent, I'll check that recipe out - I picked up a cauliflower at the market yesterday, so it's perfect timing. That milk trick sounds cool, but I rarely, if ever, have milk in the house. Ideally, I'd like to buy the salt-packed ones, since they sound like they're better quality, but since I can hardly ever find the little oil tinned ones, I doubt I'll be able to find those.

Ideally, I'd like to buy the salt-packed ones, since they sound like they're better quality, but since I can hardly ever find the little oil tinned ones, I doubt I'll be able to find those.

The salted anchovies have a cleaner flavor, and I prefer them. Even around here, they can be a little trouble to shop for. If for some reason you can't find anchovies, Asian salted mackerel may make a decent substitute. I'm talking about the soft-textured salted mackerel slices that come in plastic wrap. It may be sold at room temp or stored in the refridg or freezer case. The last batch I bought were labelled "frozen salted mackerel" and kept in a box on the floor in an Oakland Chinatown shop. The salt preserves them, really. I hope. The salted mackerel is not the same taste as anchovies, but it's salty and umami, & when I eat it I'm reminded of salted anchovies.

• 1 month later...

There's something I noticed about anchovies in tins and in jars: the ones in the tins always seem to be harder or firmer and somewhat less flavorful. The jarred anchovies, like Ortiz (and every other brand I've tried), are always softer and more pliable, and have a fresher flavor.

Might this just be because of the brands I buy, or is this difference the situation across the board, perhaps because of the processing or packing techniques or perhaps the quality of anchovies?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 11 years later...

Being used to go for premium anchovies, after my recent arrival to Spain, I am getting the cheapest anchovies possible here.... and while some are stuff that I would not dare to offer to my worst enemy (if any), I have already found really pleasant surprises for their cost. Still many brands to "taste", and expect to go up in the prize tag as I got ridden of the cheap stuff towards my average, good ones, anchovies and the top ones, I may open a post here about them once I get a larger number of brands and price tags. I am keeping track of mi impressions, so it may be something fun after all the salty, mushy, unpalatable ones I have already had.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, farcego said:

Being used to go for premium anchovies, after my recent arrival to Spain, I am getting the cheapest anchovies possible here...

I am not sure I understand this sentence: You are used to get premium anchovies in Spain and now you don’t (wherever you are) or you are used to get the premium stuff (wherever you are) and now in Spain you get the cheap stuff. The former I easily understand, the latter would raise a few questions …

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:05 AM, Duvel said:

I am not sure I understand this sentence: You are used to get premium anchovies in Spain and now you don’t (wherever you are) or you are used to get the premium stuff (wherever you are) and now in Spain you get the cheap stuff. The former I easily understand, the latter would raise a few questions …

Sorry for a late answer, I am also quite busy back home after 10 years abroad.... in regards the message, yes, my bad. I'll try now better:

I am quite used to the premium ones since a kid (in fact I have make them sent to me over 17.000 Km overseas from Santoña, North spain, to the fartest corner of Australia,  last time just a few month ago).

So now back to an area where anchovies are ubiquitous and part of our food culture (thanks to the Italians 100 years ago), I want to make a progression taste of anchovies from the cheapest ones that cost really nothing towards the top ones that may go up to some euros per fillet (you can get the cheap salty stuff from much lees than 1 euro per small tin).

Of course It does not mean I am eating all the cheap ones that came in every tin (but I already have some good surprises). Some that I am rating not worth at all, may end up being good enough for a basic anchovy mayo or butter.... but I guess not.

Please, feel free to make any question you may have, I am taking that as a personal, funny thing to do with respect of a product I really enjoy and have been eating so long :)

cheers

Fer

• Like 1