• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger Cucumber Mint Lemonade

sazji

Ginger Cucumber Mint Lemonade

This is an adaptation of an adaptation of an Indian recipe. The original is done as a lemon-ginger syrup, to which some cucumber slices may be added. I came up with my own proportions using all-fresh ingredients. If the cucumber seems odd, all I can say is, "try it!"

• 5 medium lemons
  • 2 medium cucumbers (not with bitter peels)
  • 1 1 1/2 - 2" piece of ginger root
  • 8 springs mint
  • 1/2 c sugar, pluse more to taste

Grate ginger finely and simmer with the 1/2 cup of sugar and an equal amount of water. While the ginger is simmering:

Process the cucumbers till finely ground, the pour into a strainer or piece of fabric and squeeze the juice into a pitcher.

Juice lemons, strain juice into a pitcher. Take 4-5 of the juiced halves and knead in the juice to release some of their oil.

Add a quart and a half of cold water or until you have a tartness you like. You can always adjust with a bit more lemon.

Remove simmering ginger syrup from the heat and strain into the pitcher. Taste and add sugar to taste.

Add sprigs of mint, stir vigorously to release their flavor into the lemonade.

Serve chilled over ice.

Keeps several days, but the beautiful green color will fade in a few hours so it's best to make it and serve immediately.

Note: some cucumbers have a bitter peel. Make sure the ones you use do not! If the peels are bitter, peel the cucumbers first. You won't get the green color but the flavor will still be good.

Keywords: Non-Alcoholic Beverage, Easy, Fruit

( RG2001 )

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria