• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ Pulled Pork

BBQ Pulled Pork

This method starts in the smoker and finishes in the oven. (I smoke the meat in the evening and cook it in the oven overnight, so that the house doesn’t get too hot.) Although darn tasty in BBQ sandwiches – with North Carolina BBQ sauce and coleslaw, my favorite is to eat it with home made corn tortillas with a corn/avocado salsa and a squeeze of lime.

• 4 lb pork shoulder
  • salt: black pepper: chili powder
  • 1 onion, cut in quarters
  • 5 cloves garlic, whole
  • 1 c orange juice (+/-)
  • beer (6 pack)
  • olive oil

The day before you want to smoke, rub the pork with the dry rub mixture.

Heat your smoker (or grill) to 250-300. I use Mesquite wood chips, but you could use another wood. Smoke the pork for 3 hours.

My smoker uses a liquid to keep the meat moist – I have found that beer is a good alternative to water. And you can drink the extra while you’re tending to the smoker (i.e. checking the temperature, liquid, wood chips every once in a while, etc.)

Move the pork into a roaster or Dutch oven. Add orange juice, garlic cloves and onion pieces. Drizzle with Olive Oil. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in 250 degree oven for 6 (maybe as long as 8 depending on size) more hours. You might want to check the pork at 4-5 hours to see if it needs additional liquid. It’s ready when you can easily pull it apart with a fork. Shred pork. Eat.

Keywords: Main Dish, Barbeque, Intermediate, Smoker, Pork, Dinner

( RG1992 )