• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

spicy pineapple/rhubarb chutney

lovebenton0

spicy pineapple/rhubarb chutney

i love chutneys with all kinds of meat, fish and even simple chutney sandwiches, as Monica Bhide suggests in Everything Indian. thanks, snowangel, for suggesting this one i concocted would be good with a sharp cheddar grilled cheese sandwich; it is. this is especially good also with pork, chicken and salmon.

makes one pint chutney.

• 2-1/2 c rhubarb, diced 1/2 inch
  • 1 c unsweetened pineapple, sliced and chopped
  • 1/4 c golden raisins
  • 1/4 c cider vinegar
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 2 T ginger, minced
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1 tsp hot thai chile flakes
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 T grapeseed oil
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt

mix fruits with sugar and vinegar. allow to set for about an hour to extract juices and soften raisins. stir in spices, oil and salt.

i wanted to try out the jam setting on my kneadful thing and did so. that was great, no muss, no stirring. otherwise i would have cooked this on medium low heat for about 30 to 45 minutes (depending on preference), stirring as needed to keep it from sticking.

store in jar in fridge up to two months.

Keywords: Condiment, Fruit, Easy, Hot and Spicy

( RG1975 )

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite