• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Goddess Dressing

suzilightning

Green Goddess Dressing

I have become obsessed with this condiment that can be used as a sandwich spread or, thinned slightly, as a salad dressing.

• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sour cream (I use a nondairy sour cream)
  • 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • 5 scallions, chopped
  • 1  Tbsp. fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
  • 2 tsp. anchovy paste
  • 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar if you can find it
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper

Place ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth. Chill at least an hour before serving for flavors to deveolp. Use either as a spread(Johnnybird liked it on roast beef) or thin, if too thick, with a little milk to use as a salad dressing.

Keeps for one week.

Keywords: Salad, Condiment, Easy, Blender

( RG1968 )

Edited by suzilightning
add missing amounts (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 13 years later...

I love Green Goddess dressing and in addition to salads, it's delicious with Grilled Chicken.  This is a recipe I did last year.  I got the Green Goddess dressing recipe from one of my Mother's cookbook from the late 1960s, then combined the dressing with grilled chicken.  I think the tarragon, tarragon vinegar and anchovies are what makes it so tasty.

Grilled Chicken with Green Goddess Dressing-Foodgawker.jpg

For the Grilled Chicken-

4 skin-on, boneless chicken breasts

1 tbsp. Kosher salt

toothpicks

1 tbsp. olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

3/4 cup crumbled bleu cheese for garnish

croutons for garnish

12 cherry tomatoes for garnish

12-16 Kalamata olive for garnish

For the Green Goddess Dressing-

5 cloves garlic, crushed

3 tbsp. chopped chives

2 tbsp. fresh tarragon

1/2 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp. anchovy paste

Anchovy filets

2 tbsp. tarragon wine vinegar (substitute apple cider vinegar)

salt and black pepper

Form the chicken breasts into an oval shape, making sure the skin covers around the meat. Secure the chicken breast bundles with toothpicks. Season the chicken breasts with the Kosher salt and refrigerate to marinate, 1-2 hours, while you prepare the grill and make the dressing.

Put the garlic, chives, tarragon, parsley and green onions in a mini-food processor and pulse the herbs to a fine mince. Spoon the herb mixture into a large bowl.

Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, anchovy filets, anchovy paste and tarragon wine vinegar to the herbs and whisk to combine into a creamy dressing. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Place in a container and cover and refrigerate while you grill the chicken.

Grill the chicken breast until done. Bring the chicken off the grill and let it rest on a plate for 5-8 minutes.

To serve, spoon some of the Green Goddess dressing on a plate. Cut each chicken breast into thick slices and arrange on top of the dressing.

Garnish each chicken breast with bleu cheese and place some croutons, cherry tomatoes and Kalamata olives around the plate.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Can only plea, please try this with real anchovy.     Confession, I have always hated anchovy, actually wretch over anchovy on pizza or prominently lazing on a salad..   But there were recipes where the real, whole, thing is really not only appropriate but essential.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

On 8/20/2020 at 8:13 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Can only plea, please try this with real anchovy.     Confession, I have always hated anchovy, actually wretch over anchovy on pizza or prominently lazing on a salad..   But there were recipes where the real, whole, thing is really not only appropriate but essential.

is your preferred recipe the same but just with whole anchovies blended up? 

9 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

is your preferred recipe the same but just with whole anchovies blended up? 

All of the recipes posted so far work.    There is huge variation that still create a great sauce.    But more important is the difference between paste and whole anchovy.   

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.