• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Health Dept Inspections

southern girl

hey so girl,

you have a link for Chicago restaurants?

I dont know much about health violations/codes...is it very easy to get infractions...seems fairly common according to this search on the link above

Anyone know how this procedure or warnings/fines work?

Hey -- I've been in many kitchens, and I've been through the NYC Dept of Health Food Safety Certification course. I doubt there is a kitchen anywhere on earth that could come out with no infractions whatsoever. After all, every time the pavement gets opened, the rats and mice have to move somewhere :sad:.

Don't look at number of infractions. Look at the CRITICAL violations. Those are the ones that can make you sick; a lot of the others are for things like not having a certificate on display, or for having what they think is personal stuff on your station (such as the Vitamin C I kept on the pastry station to prevent the apples I was juicing for sorbet from oxidizing :rolleyes: ).

Besides, the inspectors never seem to show up when the raw sewage is pouring down into the rear walkin, or when the mice are jumping in and out of the cans of macadamia nuts. :shock: (Don't worry, all -- that place is long since gone, and me from it. :biggrin: )

awbrig -- the way it works in NYC is: the place is given some fines and a specified period of time to correct the violations. If there are a certain number and type of critical violations on the first visit, the inspector can shut the place down. If the violations are critical but not so numerous or so severe, another inspection takes place; if the violations are still not cleared up, there are bigger fines. There might be a hearing process, I'm not sure. But if the violations are not cleared up, the place will be closed until they are.

Health Dept. inspectors in NYC tend to be very, very honest, because they are trained sanitarians who know that people could die if they let something slip by. Unlike Buildings Dept inspectors, who can't see the connection between accepting $$$ to let an unsafe condition exist, and the harm (such as death) that comes to people from that condition. (And I used to work for the City govt! :blink: )

Thx Suzanne and S Girl. After doing a serach on Chicago Sanitary Restaurants Violations I discovered too much info for my own good and stopped the search. Wow, im grossed out and wonder what really goes on in the kitchen in the places I visit....

After working in restaurants...unless I get sick from eating someplace or am truly mortified by something I observe while in a particular restaurant...I don't worry about it...I guarantee you, for the most part...unless you are incredibly careful...your own kitchen is a bigger health danger than most restaurants (no offense intended)...but, there are exceptions to every rule :unsure: ! Just think of it as building up immunities :raz: !

Every restaurant I worked in in NYC had vermin (read: roaches). Just like every apartment I ever had. The vermin(roach,rodent) problem is a structural problem having to do with operating in NYC. It can at best, be mitigated, but not,IMO, wiped out.

Far better to heed Suzannes take. Watch for the health *practice* violations. Will give you more insight to a restaurants attitude (cavalier?, serious? etc...) towards these issues.

Nick

man, I heard about all the cockroaches...do even the beautiful Park Ave places get cockroaches, and what do you do to try to get rid of them?  Just curious...

I don't know about getting rid of them. But in my (not little) experience with NYC apartments; one thing that you want to be careful of is; when eating out often (hence not lighting the oven in your apartment very much) or moving into a new place...Be very, VERY careful when you turn that oven on, after its been off for a few weeks. :shock::shock:

Park Avenue? Not much experience. Hell's Kitchen, Alphabet City, Kips Bay/Murray Hill.

Nick :biggrin:

awbrig, don't worry. Trotter makes sure the mice wear rubber gloves.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 1 month later...