• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

“Tia Consue's” Fanesca

bigbear

“Tia Consue's” Fanesca

Serves 8 as Main Dishor 12 as Soup.

A thick Ecuadorian soup that is made and served just before Easter. Traditionally, it is made with twelve varieties of beans or grains, representing the twelve apostles. It can be a very labor-intensive process. Some cooks take it as far as peeling individual beans. Based on salt cod, it makes a great meatless dish for Lent. It is my favorite of all the Ecuadorian soups, if not of all soups, period. It is delicious, satisfying and a meal unto itself.

Fanesca recipes vary and everyone thinks that theirs is the best. This is my wife's version and it is the best... of course.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1-1/2 lb boneless salt codfish
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 can of faves (habas)
  • 1 jar of lupini beans
  • 1 box of frozen lima beans
  • 1 box of frozen peas
  • 1 small butternut squash, cooked and mashed
  • 1 head of cabbage, shredded and cooked
  • 1 c cooked rice
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 8 oz mozarella cheese, shredded or chopped
  • 1/2 pt half & half
  • 1 qt milk
  • 3 T chunky peanut butter
  • 4 T unsalted butter
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced (for garnish)
  • parsley, chopped (for garnish)

Peel lupini beans and soak in water overnight. Also soak codfish overnight, in water to cover, changing the water twice. Save the last batch of water.

Cook rice. Shred and cook cabbage until soft. Cook and mash squash.

In a large pot, sweat onions and garlic in butter until very soft. Add oregano, cumin and several grinds of black pepper and cook a minute longer. Add 1 ½ cups of the saved codfish water and bring to a boil. Add cooked rice, cooked and drained cabbage, mashed squash, drained corn, drained faves, drained lupini beans, lima beans, milk and half & half. Bring soup to a near-boil and simmer. Stir often. Stirring constantly, add the chopped mozarella cheese gradually. Stir in the peanut butter. Add the peas. Bring back up to heat while stirring. Add more milk if the soup gets too, too thick.

Serve hot and garnish with sliced eggs and parsley.

Keywords: Soup, Main Dish, Seafood, Fish, Latin American

( RG1953 )

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx